Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stabilization of H2O2

1. Oct 13, 2018 at 8:49 AM #1
    I happened to come to this site by chance. I was checking solubilities of a few compounds I am considering mixing and came across a thread where people were discussing sodium percarbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Someone mentioned about stabilization of the H2O2 but no one could remember what chemicals to use for that.

<< Mentor Note: Link to the old thread is added here >>

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/h2o2-in-h20-stability.278442/

I have done this in the past and currently work with it now. You use both sodium stanate and phosphoric acid at about 0.1% for each in hydrogen peroxide that approaches 8%. At lower concentration the breakdown is much slower. Even with the stabilizers it will still break down.

My experience has shown me that a 7.9% hydrogen peroxide solution will break down to 7.1% over 5 years when it is stored properly in an opaque container. You also need to remember that during the break down there is continual off-gassing of oxygen (H2O2 breaks down to H2O) so you need to store it with a vented cap to relieve the pressure that builds up.

As for using sodium percarbonate as a source for hydrogen peroxide, good idea, I do it myself but be sure if you are mixing it with other compounds check your solubility and keep in mind that the other part of sp is Na-carbonate which will drive your pH up. Do not use the phosphoric acid to control the pH with the Na-percarbonate, it will react violently. Instead use citric acid or boric acid depending on your application.

Okay, that's my 2 cents for the day.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2018 at 5:35 PM #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thanks doc, I did not know that. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted