Understanding Stabilizers in Quotient Groups | G/H Coset Stabilizers Explained

• Thread starter SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosets
In summary, the stabilizer of the coset aH for the operation of G on G/H is the subgroup of G consisting of all elements that act as the identity on aH. It can be found by looking for all elements g in G such that (g*a)H = aH.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

What is the stabilizer of the coset aH for the operation of G on G/H

The Attempt at a Solution

Its hard for me to do this because i don't really understand the problem. i know that the stabalizer of an ELEMENT s in some group is the subgroup Gs = {g element of G|gs=s}

so basically its all elements of G that act as the identity. but i don't know how to apply this to quotient groups.

Physics news on Phys.org
G/H (the set of cosets) is being acted on by G via the group action

g*(aH) = (g*a)H

So you need to find all the g such that (g*a)H = aH

1. What are stabilizers of cosets?

Stabilizers of cosets are a mathematical concept used in group theory. They refer to the subgroup of elements that keep a specific coset unchanged when multiplied on the right.

2. How are stabilizers of cosets related to group actions?

Stabilizers of cosets are closely related to group actions, as they represent the subgroup of elements that fix a specific element under the action of a group. In other words, the stabilizer of a coset is the subgroup that preserves the coset under the group action.

3. How do you calculate the stabilizer of a coset?

To calculate the stabilizer of a coset, you need to first identify the subgroup that corresponds to the coset. Then, you can use the group operation to determine which elements of the subgroup keep the coset unchanged when multiplied on the right.

4. What is the significance of stabilizers of cosets in group theory?

Stabilizers of cosets are important in group theory because they help us understand the structure and symmetry of a group. They also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and number theory.

5. Can stabilizers of cosets be used to prove theorems in group theory?

Yes, stabilizers of cosets can be used to prove theorems in group theory. For example, they are often used in the proof of Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group. Stabilizers of cosets can also be used to prove the orbit-stabilizer theorem, which relates the size of an orbit to the size of its stabilizer subgroup.