Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stable Black hole

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    If a black hole really does have hawking radiation can in theory the black hole be stable. What I mean by this is that the hawking radiation output is in equilibrium with mass that we could feed a black hole. It seems to be self explanatory and if the large hadron collider could create a mini black hole could this soon be a possibility. This would be easier achieved if the black hole had a net charge and could be suspended in a chamber of some sort. I would imagine such a thing would be an amazing feat of science and manpower and would be a huge step for mankind.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    I can't find the source but I've seen text that states that there is an almost constant influx of highly blue-shifted light, CMB and dark matter falling into a cosmic black hole. To what degree this counter-acts the Hawking radiation I'm not sure but considering how long it takes for a black hole to evaporate through the Hawking process and the energy in radiation such as gamma and x-rays, if anything the black hole might grow.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

A black hole can be dynamically stable if it's current temperature is the same as the CMB. This requires it to gain mass over time.
  5. Sep 30, 2008 #4
    A 228 metric ton blackhole would evaporate in 1 second from Hawking Radiation, so basically you would have to drop this much mass into to it every second to keep it viable, creating a continuous five million megaton blast.
    Somehow harnassing this would indeed be an amazing feat.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?