1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stable equilibrium question

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    im so lost with this question, i have tried a lot and cannot solve it :

A particle of unit mass moves on a straight line under a force having potential energy V (x) =
    x3=(x^4 + a^4) where  and a are positive constants. Sketch the graph of V (x).
    (a) Find the period of small oscillations about the position of stable equilibrium
    (b) Suppose the particle passes the origin, moving in the positive x-direction with speed v[0]. Show
    that the particle will subsequently pass the point x = a if and only if v^2[0] > =a. Find a further
    condition on v^2[0] for the particle to subsequently pass the point x = -a

(square brackets represent a subscript)

Thansk in advance----aa.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

First, V (x) =
    x3=(x^4 + a^4) doesn't make sense. Which one is V(x) equal to:
    x3 or (x^4 + a^4)?

For (a), force varies linearly with displacement according to F=-kx near the equilibrium point. (Can you see why?)

(b) Sounds a lot like a conservation of energy problem!

4. Dec 15, 2009 #3
    hi sorry about the messy question... i have added it as an attatchement. i managed to do the first part but cannot seem to do the the last part of part b.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook