Safe Planetary Distances: Exploring the Limits of Orbital Stability

In summary, the conversation discusses determining safe and stable orbital distances for planetary interactions, specifically looking at the Roche limit and how close two planetary bodies can get before one is destroyed by the other's gravitational force. The conversation also mentions using Newton's law of gravitation and the mass and orbital data of moons in the solar system to calculate these limits. The Roche limit is also compared to the event horizon of a black hole. Finally, there is a question about the possible effects on Earth's atmosphere if it were to enter Jupiter's atmosphere within the Roche limit.
Insanity
Just curious as to how someone may determine what orbital distances are "safe" or "stable" for planetary interactions?
or
How close could two planetary bodies get before the gravity interaction destroys one or the other?

i.e. Jupiter's Io's orbit places it close to Jupiter, and most of Io's geological activity is thought to be due to tidal stresses from this orbit. How much closer could the orbit be before Io was destroyed?

By looking at the orbital, & mass data from the numerous moons in the solar system, I was wondering if Io represents a limit, as Io is the closest "spherical" moon, all the other interior moons are irregular.

I am not sure if Newton's law of gravitation is appropriate?
using this formula, Io experiences the highest gravitational force among the Galilean moons, and most of Saturn's moons. In fact a few in order from highest down in the sol system, Jupiter 4.59E+23, Io 6.41E+22, Venus 5.59E+22.

I had used excel to calculate these, using the mass, and the periapsis orbit data from wikipedia.

I am sure there is a structural limit depending on the material composition, but there should be an average to use based on the overall density I assume.

Any help?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks, I knew the name for this with black holes was the event horizon, but couldn't think of the equivalent for planetary interactions.

So i.e. Earth and Jupiter, I figured the Roche limit is 5.45E+07 meters, which means Earth would be inside Jupiter's atmosphere before being torn apart.

Any speculation as to what may happen to Earth's atmosphere prior to entering Jupiter's?

1. What are stable planetary distances?

Stable planetary distances refer to the distance between a planet and its parent star that allows for the planet to maintain its orbit without being pulled too close or pushed too far away. This distance is also known as the habitable zone or Goldilocks zone.

2. How are stable planetary distances determined?

Stable planetary distances are determined by a combination of factors, including the luminosity of the parent star, the mass and composition of the planet, and the planet's atmospheric conditions. These factors are used to calculate the distance at which liquid water can exist on the planet's surface, which is essential for supporting life.

3. Can a planet's stable distance change over time?

Yes, a planet's stable distance can change over time due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other planets, changes in the parent star's luminosity, and even large impacts or collisions with other objects. This is why the concept of a habitable zone is not a static measurement, and can vary over the lifespan of a planetary system.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect a planet's stable distance?

Aside from the factors mentioned above, there are other factors that can affect a planet's stable distance, such as the planet's tilt and rotation, the presence of a moon, and the planet's magnetic field. These factors can have a significant impact on the planet's climate and habitability.

5. Why is it important to study stable planetary distances?

Studying stable planetary distances is crucial in the search for habitable worlds and potential extraterrestrial life. It helps us understand the conditions necessary for a planet to sustain life and allows us to identify planets that may be suitable for future exploration. Additionally, studying stable distances can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of planetary systems.