Stacked Dielectric/Electret

• I
  • Thread starter Fly-Prince
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in studying the electrical properties of dielectrics and electrets and the use of series capacitance and parallel resistor/capacitor models to model the surface voltage and charge accumulation in a stack of these materials. The advantages and limitations of each model are also mentioned. Additionally, the conversation mentions numerical and experimental methods that can be used to study the charge accumulation at material interfaces over time.
Fly-Prince
Hiya,

Essentially, I would like to

1) model a stack of 2 (or more) dielectrics or electrets such as to show the surface voltage as a result of a known applied AC or DC voltage and charge time.

and

2) I`d also like to be able to model the charge accumulation at the material boundary interfaces in the stack over time, given material parameters such as k, resistivity, ect. For [1], I assume that either a series capacitance model (such as: http://www.phys.uri.edu/gerhard/PHY204/tsl129.pdf ) or a parallel resistor/capacitor model such as in the attached image is best. If anyone could explain which is best or why they`re both bad I`d appreciate it.

For [2], I`m a bit at a loss and would appreciate if anyone could point me in the correct direction.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    974 bytes · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you are interested in studying the electrical properties of dielectrics and electrets. This is a fascinating area of research and there are many different models and approaches that can be used to analyze and understand these materials.

For your first question, modeling the surface voltage of a stack of dielectrics or electrets can be achieved using a series capacitance model or a parallel resistor/capacitor model. Both of these models have their advantages and limitations, and the choice between them would depend on the specific properties of the materials you are studying and the parameters you are interested in.

The series capacitance model is based on the assumption that the dielectrics or electrets in the stack behave as perfect capacitors, with no resistance. This model is simpler and easier to understand, but it may not accurately capture the behavior of more complex materials. On the other hand, the parallel resistor/capacitor model takes into account the resistive properties of the materials, which can be important in some cases. However, this model is more complex and may require more data and calculations.

For your second question, modeling the charge accumulation at the material boundary interfaces in the stack over time can be achieved using various numerical methods, such as finite element analysis or computational fluid dynamics. These methods take into account the material properties, such as dielectric constant and resistivity, and can provide a detailed understanding of the charge accumulation dynamics at the interfaces. You may also want to look into experimental techniques, such as dielectric spectroscopy, to measure the charge accumulation in real-time.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a stacked dielectric/electret?

A stacked dielectric/electret is a material made up of multiple layers of dielectric and electret materials. Dielectrics are insulating materials that can store electric charge, while electrets are materials that have a permanent electric charge without the need for an external power source. Stacking these materials creates a composite material with unique electrical properties.

2. What are the applications of stacked dielectric/electret materials?

Stacked dielectric/electret materials have a wide range of applications in the fields of electronics, energy harvesting, and sensing. They can be used in capacitor and battery designs, as well as in sensors for measuring temperature, pressure, and humidity. They are also used in microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and microfluidic devices.

3. How are stacked dielectric/electret materials made?

Stacked dielectric/electret materials can be made through various processes, including electrospinning, layer-by-layer deposition, and thermal bonding. These methods involve layering thin films of dielectric and electret materials on top of each other to create a stacked structure. The specific manufacturing process may vary depending on the desired properties of the final material.

4. What are the advantages of using stacked dielectric/electret materials?

One of the main advantages of stacked dielectric/electret materials is their ability to store and generate electrical charge. This makes them useful in energy harvesting applications, where they can convert mechanical or thermal energy into electrical energy. They also have high dielectric strength and low dielectric loss, making them ideal for use in electronic components.

5. Are there any limitations to using stacked dielectric/electret materials?

While stacked dielectric/electret materials have many benefits, they also have some limitations. One limitation is their sensitivity to moisture, which can affect their electrical properties. They also have limited stability at high temperatures, which can lead to a decrease in performance over time. Additionally, the manufacturing process for stacked dielectric/electret materials can be complex and costly.