Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Staggered rear springs

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    We are racing a 2550 LB asphalt modified. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the left rear spring in front of the rear end and the right rear spring behind the rear end? We also have a decel/acel push/pull bar on the center of the rear end. Approximately 600 lbs of torque from the engine.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

welcome....nice to meet a fellow racer..short answer is spring mount location can help a little bit on spring wrap under acceleration..torque link is to dial in hook up under acceleration as well..long answer is both questions are addresses in above post

Race car suspension Class
    by Ranger Mike

rm

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3
    Thanks I have read the posts and the big problem we have seems to be traction off the turns. The third link is supposed to increase bite off but they have tried it with staggered springs. Here is the info.
    http://www.rightfootperformance.net/tech/index_28_4121065422.pdf
    We have the accel set at 14 degrees down and the decel at 5 degrees up I think. I will have to double check the angles.

Thanks for the info above!

5. Aug 25, 2014 #4

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mikey
    Pls post on race car suspension class so we can use as teaching point
    Pls include type car type of track
    Track size , banking
    Etc
    See you there
    Rm

6. Aug 26, 2014 #5
    ok I will post tonight

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook