Solving Moment Problem with Attached Image

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving determining the resultant moment of two forces about a specific axis and expressing the result as a Cartesian vector. The person has attempted the problem but is unsure about their methods and thinks there may be an algebra mistake. They have submitted their work and are discussing potential errors. The book's answer is provided as [26.1i - 15.1j] lb*ft and there is also a discussion about the direction of the torque and a potential error with the notation used.
aeubz
staics help please!

Please help with this problem.. I'm going crazy.

I have attempted the problem and i think my methods are correct. however some algebra mistake is also there i think.

im submitting my work on the thread below

Question: Determine the resultant moment of the two forces about the Oa axis. express the result as a Cartesian vector.

The picture is attached.
Note*: its 80lb that's a bit smudged on the right of the attachment.

Attachments

• 2.bmp
    130.7 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org

here is my work

the book answer is : [26.1i - 15.1j] lb*ft

Attachments

• 333.bmp
    206 KB · Views: 466

Isn't it the perpendicular component of F1 that creates the torque about the Oa axis? Also the [tex]\hat{k}[/tex] in [tex]\vec{m_1}[/tex] seems to be incorrect anyways.

Last edited:

1. What is the moment problem?

The moment problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a probability distribution function from a given set of moments. Moments are mathematical properties of a probability distribution, such as the mean and variance. The moment problem is important in various fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering.

2. What is the importance of solving the moment problem?

Solving the moment problem allows us to determine the underlying probability distribution function from a set of moments. This can help us understand the behavior of a system, make predictions, and make informed decisions. It is also used in statistical inference, where we estimate the parameters of a distribution from a sample.

3. How is the moment problem solved?

The moment problem is solved using various mathematical methods, such as moment generating functions, Laplace transforms, and Fourier transforms. These methods allow us to express the moments in terms of the parameters of the distribution and solve for them algebraically. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to solve the moment problem.

4. What is the role of the attached image in solving the moment problem?

The attached image is a visual representation of a probability distribution and its corresponding moments. It helps to illustrate the relationship between the moments and the distribution, making it easier to understand and solve the moment problem. The image can also be used to verify the solution obtained from mathematical methods.

5. Are there any practical applications of solving the moment problem?

Yes, there are many practical applications of solving the moment problem. In statistics, it is used to estimate the parameters of a distribution from a sample. In physics and engineering, it is used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in finance, where it helps in risk assessment and portfolio management. Overall, solving the moment problem has many real-world applications in various fields.