1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Stained glass problem

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    Glass is transparent because the light doesn't have enough energy to get the electrons to the next energy level. But how does blue stained glass work? Does the blue light have too much energy to excite the electron in comparison to red and green that get absorbed? Why are the low energy wavelengths being absorbed? Is there another principle?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is actually a difficult one to find an answer. Starting with how glass is transparent (see the video)
    If the photon does not excite the electron, then it passes through. It briefly talks about how some materials may absorb some energy levels (wavelengths) but not others. So some colors would pass through unabsorbed. There is another video (I will try to find it) which shows how certain substance glow under ultraviolet light. So what is happening there, the ultraviolet light (which we cannot see) excites the electron by more than one level, but then it goes back down to an intermediate level (emitting visible light) before returning to ground state.

I am assuming that red light excites it more than one level, then it falls back down and the intermediate step is infrared.

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3
    Thanks

5. Jun 21, 2017 #4
    Btw the vid doesn't explain why blue photons pass through blue stained glass and red photons don't.

6. Jun 21, 2017 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Of course it does, just using a different color filter. Blue photons don't have enough energy to take the electrons in blue glass to the next level, so they are not absorbed. Red photons do have enough energy to do that and so are absorbed.

7. Jun 21, 2017 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Despite the fact that photons don't have a color (but rather affect a color sensation in a human eye), "blue" photons are more energetic than "red" ones ;-).

8. Jun 21, 2017 #7

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not like "photons above a certain energy are absorbed because they have enough energy", it is more like when he was talking about light not going through a wall, I think. If the red light is energetic enough to excite some "easy" electrons up two levels, for example. But then maybe on the way back "down" they stop at the intermediate level (emitting an infrared level photon). Then they go back to ground state and maybe another infrared photon.

I am not sure if this is exactly how it works or not, but that is what I am thinking. It seems hard to find any information detailing "why" certain atoms (or crystal structures) absorb 1 "color" and not another, but just remember that if the electron is excited, it will eventually go back to ground state, emitting a photon, but not necessarily in the same direction.
    Also, it is common to excite more than one level then go back down in intermediate levels. This is how a black light (high energy UV photons) makes certain materials appear to glow. We cannot see the UV rays, but we see the lower energy photons which are emitted by the intermediate stages.

9. Jun 22, 2017 #8
    What?? I thought blue photons have MORE energy than red photons.

10. Jun 22, 2017 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Damn. You're right of course. I clearly wasn't paying attention to what I was saying.

11. Jun 28, 2017 #10

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Blue glass is typically made by adding Cobalt Oxide, which absorbs in the red:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja01330a010

Hence, blue light passes through.

Red glass is tricky- that uses Gold, but the mechanism is not absorption/transmission exactly (AFAIK)- it's more complicated:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v407/n6805/full/407691a0.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted