Why is stainless steel non-magnetic?

In summary, stainless steel is typically magnetic, but the austenitic ones (300 series) are not in their annealed condition. Cold working the material can induce magnetic properties due to the formation of martensite. The martensitic stainless steels (400 series) are magnetic. The exact cause of the magnetism is still unclear, but it is believed to be related to the crystalline structure. Further research and expertise is needed for a more detailed explanation.
PeteGt
Maybe this is more of a chemisty question but I have found that stainless steel is not magnetic. I can only reason that this would be if the Fe (iron) inside the steel is actually bonded with the other components of steel thus making the 3d spins useless to become aligned.

i did a search and didn't come up with much, any ideas?

pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, most stainless steels show attraction to magnets, it is the austenitic ones (300 series) that are not magnetic IN THE ANNEALED CONDITION. If you cold work the material enough you will induce magnetic properties to the material due to the formation of martensite. The martensitic stainless steels (400 series) are magnetic. I really can not go to the exact cause of the magnetism though (I'm not a metallurgist). I had always heard it was a result of the crystalline structure, but that really is about it. Hopefully we can get someone else in here that can give you a much more detailed answer.

interesting, that's great that you know that much! That's at least more helpful.

It would still be interesting to see why this happens.

1. What is stainless steel and why is it called "stainless"?

Stainless steel is a type of steel alloy that contains at least 10.5% chromium. It gets its name from its ability to resist staining and corrosion, making it a popular material for various applications.

2. Is stainless steel magnetic?

Yes, stainless steel can be magnetic depending on its composition. Austenitic stainless steels (such as 304 and 316) are non-magnetic, while ferritic and martensitic stainless steels (such as 430 and 420) are magnetic.

3. What causes stainless steel to be magnetic?

The presence of iron in the alloy is what makes stainless steel magnetic. Ferritic and martensitic stainless steels contain higher levels of iron, while austenitic stainless steels have a lower iron content, resulting in their non-magnetic properties.

4. Can the magnetism of stainless steel be changed?

Yes, the magnetism of stainless steel can be changed through various processes such as heat treatment or cold working. This can alter the microstructure of the steel and change its magnetic properties.

5. Does the magnetism of stainless steel affect its performance?

The magnetic properties of stainless steel do not significantly affect its performance in most applications. However, in some cases, the magnetic properties can impact its ability to be formed or welded, so it is important to choose the appropriate grade for your specific application.