Have you ever had to deal with stubborn stains on your clothes?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, you use Sanford uniball micro pens or Pilot Razorpoints, and invariably, as you did today, you put the pen in your pocket with the cap on the non-writing end. The ink bleeds a black (in most cases), or blue and sometimes red spot on the pocket of your shirts. Yesterday, you were approaching a pedestrian crossing, and were just about to start running to the crosswalk in order to catch the light when you hesitated and decided not to run. Just your friend and you were a few steps from the crosswalk, a car ran through the intersection, despite the fact that cars had stopped in the other three lanes for the red light. If you had run as planned, you would have
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
If you're like me - I'm very sorry. You have my sympathy. :biggrin:

I am considered somewhat absent-minded, but is more like distracted.

I use Sanford uniball micro pens or Pilot Razorpoints, and invariably, as I did today, I put the pen in my pocket with the cap on the non-writing end. Consequently the tip is in contact with my shirt, and ink bleeds a black (in most cases), or blue and sometimes red spot on the pocket of my shirts. I was wearing a brand new shirt today.

Anyway, to get the ink out, I use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), and the shirt get repeated washings. I think ethanol (denatured) works better than isopropyl.

Also, every now and then I encounter spaghetti (tomato) sauce on clothing. I've found that toothpaste, particular the kind for whitening teeth is very good at getting out tomato sauce stains. I usually press and smear the toothpaste into the stain on both sides, let soak and then rub the stained area vigorously. I'll also washing it with a few drops of dish detergent.

I have to say that I have a charmed life, having survived a few too many close calls.

Yesterday, I was approaching a pedestrian crossing, and was just about to start running to the crosswalk in order to catch the light because the light had turned green for the parallel traffic when I was still about 10 ft from the crosswalk. I hesitated and decided not to run. Just my friend and I were a few steps from the crosswalk, a car ran through the intersection, despite the fact that cars had stopped in the other three lanes for the red light. Had I ran as planned, I would have been in that lane and that car could have taken me out. The lady didn't even look sideways, didn't even use the brakes, but stared straight ahead seemingly oblivious that she was going through a red light, and a truck was about to enter the intersection on her right side. :rolleyes:

This was the same cross-walk I was on a few months ago, when another car skidded across the cross-walk then swerving to miss a car and truck on the intersection. I normally watch the cross-traffic now to see if they are slowing down to stop. I'm always prepared to dive out of the way or over a car if necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
:biggrin: You live a charmed life, for sure. (Except, of course, that I don't believe in that crap. :rolleyes:)
My aunt (about 50 years ago; she just died a couple of years ago at 95), came up with a brilliant way to get rid of a stain on one of her dresses—she cut it out with a pair of scissors. Then came one of those 'hmmm... that's not quite right' moments.

I heard milk was good for removing tomato sauce stains.This reminds me of a story :biggrin:.*groan, moan, "here it comes!"*

I remember when I was young and we had just moved into an apartment in a rough part of town. Ity was the end of the day and we had done with settling in for the day, and I was looking out the window (curtains weren't up yet). There were a few bergies (homeless people) out and about (it was night time), and they had been drinking, when a vehicle came tearing down the round and ran over one of the vagrants. The driver never slowed down, not even hooting, and s/he must have been doing 80km/h at least. For years after that I was scared of crossing roads, but I am over it now.

Due to the fragrance factor, I can no longer use this method of cleaning ink stains, but it works. I was sitting in a hotel bar with a buddy having a beer after work when he pointed out that I had gotten ink on my tie. The barmaid was listening to us, and she said "give me your tie" so I handed it over. She reached under the bar and hauled out a can of hairspray, sprayed the stain and blotted it with a napkin. The stain was gone.

Persil takes out all kinds of stains. It has a "sensitiv" brand that does not have any fragrance. For silks, I guess you can use the regular brand, but can also try the softer wolle (wool) brand.

Last edited:

1. What are the most common types of stains?

The most common types of stains are food stains (such as coffee and wine), oil and grease stains, ink stains, and blood stains.

2. How do I remove a stain?

The best way to remove a stain depends on the type of stain and the fabric/material it has stained. In general, it is recommended to blot the stain with a clean cloth or paper towel, then treat it with a stain remover or a mixture of water and mild detergent. Rinse the area with warm water and repeat the process if necessary.

3. Can all stains be removed?

Unfortunately, not all stains can be removed completely. Some stains, especially those that are set or have been on the fabric for a long time, may be impossible to completely remove. It is always best to treat a stain as soon as possible to increase the chances of successful removal.

4. Are there any natural or homemade remedies for removing stains?

Yes, there are some natural and homemade remedies that can be effective in removing stains. For example, lemon juice and vinegar can be used to remove food stains, and baking soda can be used to remove odors from stains. However, these methods may not work for all types of stains and fabrics, so it is important to test them on a small, inconspicuous area first.

5. How can I prevent stains from happening in the first place?

To prevent stains, it is important to be cautious while eating and drinking and to clean up spills immediately. It is also helpful to treat fabrics with stain-resistant products and to follow the care instructions on clothing and other fabrics. Wearing an apron while cooking and using coasters for drinks can also help prevent stains.