Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stains and sundry things

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1

Staff: Mentor

If you're like me - I'm very sorry. You have my sympathy. :biggrin:

I am considered somewhat absent-minded, but is more like distracted.

I use Sanford uniball micro pens or Pilot Razorpoints, and invariably, as I did today, I put the pen in my pocket with the cap on the non-writing end. Consequently the tip is in contact with my shirt, and ink bleeds a black (in most cases), or blue and sometimes red spot on the pocket of my shirts. I was wearing a brand new shirt today.

Anyway, to get the ink out, I use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), and the shirt get repeated washings. I think ethanol (denatured) works better than isopropyl.

Also, every now and then I encounter spaghetti (tomato) sauce on clothing. I've found that toothpaste, particular the kind for whitening teeth is very good at getting out tomato sauce stains. I usually press and smear the toothpaste into the stain on both sides, let soak and then rub the stained area vigorously. I'll also washing it with a few drops of dish detergent.

I have to say that I have a charmed life, having survived a few too many close calls.

Yesterday, I was approaching a pedestrian crossing, and was just about to start running to the crosswalk in order to catch the light because the light had turned green for the parallel traffic when I was still about 10 ft from the crosswalk. I hesitated and decided not to run. Just my friend and I were a few steps from the crosswalk, a car ran through the intersection, despite the fact that cars had stopped in the other three lanes for the red light. Had I ran as planned, I would have been in that lane and that car could have taken me out. The lady didn't even look sideways, didn't even use the brakes, but stared straight ahead seemingly oblivious that she was going through a red light, and a truck was about to enter the intersection on her right side. :rolleyes:

This was the same cross-walk I was on a few months ago, when another car skidded across the cross-walk then swerving to miss a car and truck on the intersection. I normally watch the cross-traffic now to see if they are slowing down to stop. I'm always prepared to dive out of the way or over a car if necessary.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2

Gold Member

:biggrin: You live a charmed life, for sure. (Except, of course, that I don't believe in that crap. :rolleyes:)
    My aunt (about 50 years ago; she just died a couple of years ago at 95), came up with a brilliant way to get rid of a stain on one of her dresses—she cut it out with a pair of scissors. Then came one of those 'hmmm... that's not quite right' moments.
  4. Aug 31, 2007 #3
    I heard milk was good for removing tomato sauce stains.This reminds me of a story :biggrin:.*groan, moan, "here it comes!"*

I remember when I was young and we had just moved into an apartment in a rough part of town. Ity was the end of the day and we had done with settling in for the day, and I was looking out the window (curtains weren't up yet). There were a few bergies (homeless people) out and about (it was night time), and they had been drinking, when a vehicle came tearing down the round and ran over one of the vagrants. The driver never slowed down, not even hooting, and s/he must have been doing 80km/h at least. For years after that I was scared of crossing roads, but I am over it now.
  5. Aug 31, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Due to the fragrance factor, I can no longer use this method of cleaning ink stains, but it works. I was sitting in a hotel bar with a buddy having a beer after work when he pointed out that I had gotten ink on my tie. The barmaid was listening to us, and she said "give me your tie" so I handed it over. She reached under the bar and hauled out a can of hairspray, sprayed the stain and blotted it with a napkin. The stain was gone.
  6. Aug 31, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Persil takes out all kinds of stains. It has a "sensitiv" brand that does not have any fragrance. For silks, I guess you can use the regular brand, but can also try the softer wolle (wool) brand.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?