Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stair stepper

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Build a stair climbing robot. There are no required dimensions.

2. Relevant equations
    MONEY

3. The attempt at a solution

I need help brainstorming on some designs of a stair climbing robot that is cheap but yet effective. I have connections with law enforcement so maybe i can get parts from there "door knockers" such as the motors or frame and build something around that.

I saw some youtube videos of this but it must be my teams design or a mix of designs.

thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, we're listening. What are your ideas?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    Well, since it is gonna need to be cheap. a box frame with some sort of track system. doesnt need to climb perfectly. Maybe really high RPM's and a good track system for the wheels. Kinda like how if you do not have a ATV with 4x4, you relly on high RPM's and speed to climb the hill.

Oh and it has to be independent as in no wires to the remote. So wireless or just a switch and it does whatever it wants to do..

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So you're goniog to power up the stairs on tracks? Are these standard steps? 7" rise, 9" run? How big will your robot have to be?

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    No size limitations. Yup normal stairs.

Professor said it could be as big as a german tank so that i can run over other professors he doesnt like.. LOL..

I have never ever ever had to build anything like this. This is my first semester as a ME student and im still in algebra 1

thanx

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook