What can cause rhabdomyalysis?Rhabdomyolysis: Causes and Risks

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, Gail climbed 16 floors in an effort to drop off her lab paper, but when she got to the correct floor, realized she had made a mistake and had to walk all the way back down. She reached the 11th floor, but was interrupted by someone leaving their office and ended up drinking a full water bottle that was left there.
Running down steep stairs 2 steps at a time is fun. It seems like you're moving straight down.

Physics news on Phys.org
lol. :smile: I'll have to try the stair skipping when I can walk again.:wink:

Gale17 said:
Horses won't go down stairs backwards. I had a friend whose horse escaped the corrale and came to the house and into to den up some stairs, but then it couldn't get out because it couldn't turn around (too little space) and it started to tweak out. Kinda destroyed the house a bit... but eventually she got him turned around and back oustide. He's scared of coming near the house though.

Horses are just nuts. Stairs in general are hard for horses, because they are rather narrow for them, and there are a lot of stairs that span the length of a horse. When I was in college, there was this one pedestrian bridge over a busy road that nobody could understand why each stair on it was wide enough that it took just about 2 and a half steps to walk over, which was pretty awkward for everyone to walk. Turns out it was designed that way so horses could cross it safely (we had an equestrian patrol as part of the campus security).

And so you all know, I'm quite fine now. My legs were sore yesterday, but they're fine today. I guess those stairs weren't SOOOO bad, actually, it probably wouldn't've been so bad if i hadn't skipped down 16 flights first. Going down was a lot more fun though.

You must have already been in reasonable shape if you made it up the stairs anyway. But yeah, I realize you walked more than just 11 flights by the time you were done hunting along the top three floors before "skipping" to the bottom, then back up.

Did you know that if you over-exercise your muscles to a tremendous degree, your muscles start to break down? Your urine even turns brown.

Think of how many chaacter you burned when you were running up and down those stairs!

I think you actually did more than 11 lights Gale...didn't you go all the way down and then all the way back up...thats 22 flights, if you total them all up.

I ment to type calories in my last post...sorry

It's called rhabdomyolysis. http://www.ncaa.org/news/1998/19981026/active/3535n28.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Bartholomew said:
Did you know that if you over-exercise your muscles to a tremendous degree, your muscles start to break down? Your urine even turns brown.

Thats gross...interesting factoid, but still gross.

It can lead to kidney failure and death.

Wow, yeah really not good...how do you fix it?

Death...?Or kidney failure...?Or failure altogether...?

Make up your mind...:wink:

Daniel.

Kidney failure leads to death. I did provide a link which you can use to read about this.

Either way...all still gross stuff! Can't they put you on dialysis(sp?) to avoid death until they can do a kidney transplant?

Probably, but I don't think kidney transplants are so easy to find.

Bartholomew said:
Probably, but I don't think kidney transplants are so easy to find.

Well, I wouldn't say 'easy,' but they're probably one of the easier organs to find. Since most everyone is born with 2 and you only *really* need 1 to live, you can get a donation from someone who's willing to give one up (a family member usually) in addition to the normal organ donation process.

Okay, but people can and have died from kidney failure from rhabdomyolysis.

misskitty said:
Think of how many chaacter you burned when you were running up and down those stairs!

I think you actually did more than 11 lights Gale...didn't you go all the way down and then all the way back up...thats 22 flights, if you total them all up.

actually i started at 15, went down one, up two, down 16, then up 11, so that's a grand total of 30. But i don't think i over worked my muscles too much... least i don't think so, it was a little tough but i hope i won't be dying of kidney failure any time soon...

No doubt of that if they felt the need to provide documentation of what it is, how it is caused, and what to do about it.

Still...30 is a lot of stairs Gale.:smile:

Do your legs still feel like jello?

You got a great work out I'm sure of that! :wink:

I think the rhamdombyolysis only happens when you really severely overwork your muscles. I don't think it would happen from just ordinary exhaustion... otherwise it would be more common.

Bartholomew said:
I think the rhamdombyolysis only happens when you really severely overwork your muscles. I don't think it would happen from just ordinary exhaustion... otherwise it would be more common.

I was laughing. I had one of those Law and Order shows on tonight (well, all the various shows seem to be on tonight) and on autopsy of a victim, they were talking about rhabdomyalysis. I just thought it was funny, because it's not usually a topic that comes up in every day conversation, so I laughed that I heard it discussed twice in the same day.

No, it wouldn't happen from ordinary fatigue. You'd have started cramping up and giving up climbing stairs before that happened. It's something that might be more likely to happen when you truly reach muscle exhaustion, like if you were shipwrecked and trying to tread water and had to keep going no matter how exhausted just to fight for your life. Animals that have been found caught someplace that died struggling to get free would have rhabdomyalysis. You really wouldn't push yourself that far unless you were in a life or death situation.