Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stamp collecting and science

1. Jan 22, 2007 #1
    I am sure you know about the Ernest Rutherford quote "All science is either physics or stamp collecting", which was mentioned in a response to one of my other threads over at the physics forum. I would like to know what biologists think about this; what future developments will bring biology closer to being a "real science", by Rutherford's standards?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2
    What law of physics was Rutherford thinking about that would explain the well known at his time (early 1900s) Darwin biological theory of natural selection--a macroscopic interaction of a complex nature among numerous individual entities within and between species ? Logic is defined as the "science of reasoning"--does not sound like stamp collecting to me. In retrospect and being kind to scientists such as Rutherford, we can consider such comments as derived from ignorance, and ignorance, as a state of mind, is error produced by false inference.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?