Stamp collecting

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date

Mk

Hi there, any stamp collectors? I just recieved a stockbook filled with about 200 Soviet stamps dating from 1930-1991. How could I determine the value, and what should I know about stamp collecting now?

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Mk said:
Hi there, any stamp collectors? I just recieved a stockbook filled with about 200 Soviet stamps dating from 1930-1991. How could I determine the value, and what should I know about stamp collecting now?
Don't lick them... that's for sure.

You'd have to get a Scott's Catalogue to determine the values. You'd have to learn more about Cataloguing.

You can search online for a list of Soviet Scott Catalogue numbers. That would be your easiest way of doing it. They show pictures with the number next to it. So, basically find the number and look up the value in the Catalogue.

Also, you would need to learn how to grade them. This can take some time though.

Mk

Grade them? "The number?"

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
JasonRox said:
Don't lick them...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: THAT was funny!

Mk

I almost took that as an insult. :smile:

Rach3

Mk said:
Stamp Collecting
Rats, I thought this was going to be about the non-physics sciences.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Mk said:
Grade them? "The number?"
Grading is the quality of the Stamp.

The number is the catalogue number so you can find out the worth, but then again the worth (value) depends a lot on the grade.

Evo

Mentor
Oh man, I hope my mom still has my stamp collections, I had an incredible collection when I was little.

Some of m\y favorites were of gorillas from the Congo, but I had first issue hand canceled stamps from all over the world.

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: THAT was funny!
:rofl: :rofl: I second that, because somehow, I think he was serious! :eek:

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:
:rofl: :rofl: I second that, because somehow, I think he was serious! :eek:
I was serious. :smile:

Apparently a lot of people do this because they like to stick them on paper, and then put it in a binder. It's what they used to do.

Mk

Do people actually take the stamp off of an envelope they were mailed? How do you do that??

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Mk said:
Do people actually take the stamp off of an envelope they were mailed? How do you do that??
I have no clue how to do that. I'm not a Stamp Collector. I collect coins, so naturally I see Stamp Collectors too.

Evo

Mentor
JasonRox said:
I have no clue how to do that. I'm not a Stamp Collector. I collect coins, so naturally I see Stamp Collectors too.
You can easily steam them off the envelope.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Evo said:
You can easily steam them off the envelope.
Is that good for the grade? I don't know.

You have to becareful at what you do to it. Sure it looks fine to an average person, but to a Stamp Collector that can cut the price by 80% or more!

Some people clean their coins, but I can tell. You can cut the price by 90% and I still won't buy it. I won't buy cleaned coins period. I don't even know anyone who does except possibly beginners.

Mk said:
Soak it in water. It will lift of easily with no harm to the stamp.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
larkspur said:
Soak it in water. It will lift of easily with no harm to the stamp.
Are you 100% sure about this?

Do you collect stamps?

Mk, I recommend that you do research on how to do it properly without reducing the value.

Evo

Mentor
JasonRox said:
Is that good for the grade? I don't know.

You have to becareful at what you do to it. Sure it looks fine to an average person, but to a Stamp Collector that can cut the price by 80% or more!

Some people clean their coins, but I can tell. You can cut the price by 90% and I still won't buy it. I won't buy cleaned coins period. I don't even know anyone who does except possibly beginners.
Same goes for antiques, cleaning them usually lessons the value.

I love watching "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS. Makes me sick sometimes though.

I HAD an 1909 VDB S penny that the Jaws of Death ate. :frown: It was in near mint condition.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Evo said:
Same goes for antiques, cleaning them usually lessons the value.

I HAD an 1909 VDB S penny that the Jaws of Death ate. :frown: It was in near mint condition.
OUCH! I'm not a US Coin collector, but I do know that's a big coin.

Note: Mint condition doesn't make sense in the world of coins. :wink: We say uncirculated. :smile:

I find it funny how the coin grading is. If you say my coin is in good condition, that actually means very very very bad. So bad, that the date might not even be readable.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
JasonRox said:
Note: Mint condition doesn't make sense in the world of coins. :wink: We say uncirculated. :smile:
Yep, I have a number of uncirculated coins, geeze, it's been so many years since I was into coin collecting. My ex stole the silver dollar collection I had, they went back to the 1790's some were quite valuable.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Evo said:
Yep, I have a number of uncirculated coins, geeze, it's been so many years since I was into coin collecting. My ex stole the silver dollar collection I had, they went back to the 1790's some were quite valuable.
WHOA! I would have freaked out!

I told my mom to never give away my coin collection if I died or something. She gave away her moms coin collection and spent some of it. Dumbest thing you can do.

Evo

Mentor
JasonRox said:
WHOA! I would have freaked out!
I am very upset, but nothing I can do. I can't prove it was him in a court of law.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Evo said:
I am very upset, but nothing I can do. I can't prove it was him in a court of law.
We can hope for bad karma though. :biggrin:

Evo

Mentor