Stamp Collecting: Value & Tips for Beginners

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, Mk recommends doing research on how to properly clean stamps without reducing their value.
Mk
Hi there, any stamp collectors? I just received a stockbook filled with about 200 Soviet stamps dating from 1930-1991. How could I determine the value, and what should I know about stamp collecting now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
Hi there, any stamp collectors? I just received a stockbook filled with about 200 Soviet stamps dating from 1930-1991. How could I determine the value, and what should I know about stamp collecting now?

Don't lick them... that's for sure.

You'd have to get a Scott's Catalogue to determine the values. You'd have to learn more about Cataloguing.

You can search online for a list of Soviet Scott Catalogue numbers. That would be your easiest way of doing it. They show pictures with the number next to it. So, basically find the number and look up the value in the Catalogue.

Also, you would need to learn how to grade them. This can take some time though.

Grade them? "The number?"

JasonRox said:
Don't lick them...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: THAT was funny!

I almost took that as an insult. :smile:

Mk said:
Stamp Collecting

Rats, I thought this was going to be about the non-physics sciences.

Mk said:
Grade them? "The number?"

Grading is the quality of the Stamp.

The number is the catalogue number so you can find out the worth, but then again the worth (value) depends a lot on the grade.

Oh man, I hope my mom still has my stamp collections, I had an incredible collection when I was little.

Some of m\y favorites were of gorillas from the Congo, but I had first issue hand canceled stamps from all over the world.

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: THAT was funny!

:rofl: :rofl: I second that, because somehow, I think he was serious! :eek:

cyrusabdollahi said:
:rofl: :rofl: I second that, because somehow, I think he was serious! :eek:

I was serious. :smile:

Apparently a lot of people do this because they like to stick them on paper, and then put it in a binder. It's what they used to do.

Do people actually take the stamp off of an envelope they were mailed? How do you do that??

Mk said:
Do people actually take the stamp off of an envelope they were mailed? How do you do that??

I have no clue how to do that. I'm not a Stamp Collector. I collect coins, so naturally I see Stamp Collectors too.

JasonRox said:
I have no clue how to do that. I'm not a Stamp Collector. I collect coins, so naturally I see Stamp Collectors too.
You can easily steam them off the envelope.

Evo said:
You can easily steam them off the envelope.

Is that good for the grade? I don't know.

You have to becareful at what you do to it. Sure it looks fine to an average person, but to a Stamp Collector that can cut the price by 80% or more!

Some people clean their coins, but I can tell. You can cut the price by 90% and I still won't buy it. I won't buy cleaned coins period. I don't even know anyone who does except possibly beginners.

Mk said:
Soak it in water. It will lift of easily with no harm to the stamp.

larkspur said:
Soak it in water. It will lift of easily with no harm to the stamp.

Are you 100% sure about this?

Do you collect stamps?

Mk, I recommend that you do research on how to do it properly without reducing the value.

JasonRox said:
Is that good for the grade? I don't know.

You have to becareful at what you do to it. Sure it looks fine to an average person, but to a Stamp Collector that can cut the price by 80% or more!

Some people clean their coins, but I can tell. You can cut the price by 90% and I still won't buy it. I won't buy cleaned coins period. I don't even know anyone who does except possibly beginners.
Same goes for antiques, cleaning them usually lessons the value.

I love watching "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS. Makes me sick sometimes though.

I HAD an 1909 VDB S penny that the Jaws of Death ate. :frown: It was in near mint condition.

Evo said:
Same goes for antiques, cleaning them usually lessons the value.

I HAD an 1909 VDB S penny that the Jaws of Death ate. :frown: It was in near mint condition.

OUCH! I'm not a US Coin collector, but I do know that's a big coin.

Note: Mint condition doesn't make sense in the world of coins. :wink: We say uncirculated. :smile:

I find it funny how the coin grading is. If you say my coin is in good condition, that actually means very very very bad. So bad, that the date might not even be readable.

Last edited:
JasonRox said:
Are you 100% sure about this?

Do you collect stamps?

Mk, I recommend that you do research on how to do it properly without reducing the value.

I used to collect stamps and my uncle was a big collector and that is what he did.
Here is a site that describes the technique:
http://www.junior-philatelists.com/soaking_stamps.htm"

http://www.junior-philatelists.com/soaking_problems.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
larkspur said:
I used to collect stamps and my uncle was a big collector and that is what he did.
Here is a site that describes the technique:
http://www.junior-philatelists.com/soaking_stamps.htm"

http://www.junior-philatelists.com/soaking_problems.htm"

Thanks for clearing that up. :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
Note: Mint condition doesn't make sense in the world of coins. :wink: We say uncirculated. :smile:
Yep, I have a number of uncirculated coins, geeze, it's been so many years since I was into coin collecting. My ex stole the silver dollar collection I had, they went back to the 1790's some were quite valuable.

Evo said:
Yep, I have a number of uncirculated coins, geeze, it's been so many years since I was into coin collecting. My ex stole the silver dollar collection I had, they went back to the 1790's some were quite valuable.

WHOA! I would have freaked out!

I told my mom to never give away my coin collection if I died or something. She gave away her moms coin collection and spent some of it. Dumbest thing you can do.

JasonRox said:
WHOA! I would have freaked out!
I am very upset, but nothing I can do. I can't prove it was him in a court of law.

Evo said:
I am very upset, but nothing I can do. I can't prove it was him in a court of law.

We can hope for bad karma though. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
We can hope for bad karma though. :biggrin:
:approve: We can hope. :smile:

1. What makes a stamp valuable?

Several factors contribute to the value of a stamp, including rarity, condition, age, and demand. Rare stamps that were only produced in limited quantities are typically more valuable than common ones. Stamps in mint condition, with no damage or marks, are also highly sought after by collectors. Age can also play a role, as older stamps may be more valuable due to their historical significance. Finally, demand from collectors can drive up the value of certain stamps.

2. How can I determine the value of my stamps?

The best way to determine the value of your stamps is to consult a reputable stamp catalog or price guide. These resources provide information on the current market value of various stamps. You can also get your stamps appraised by a professional stamp dealer or attend a stamp show or auction to get an idea of their value.

3. Are there any common mistakes that beginners should avoid when collecting stamps?

One common mistake that beginners make is assuming that all old stamps are valuable. While age can contribute to a stamp's value, it is not the only factor. It's important to do your research and understand the factors that determine a stamp's value before making any purchases. Another mistake to avoid is storing your stamps inappropriately, which can damage them and decrease their value. Stamps should be kept in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and moisture.

4. What are some tips for building a stamp collection?

First, decide on a specific area or theme for your collection, such as a particular country, time period, or subject matter. This will help you focus your efforts and build a cohesive collection. Next, invest in quality supplies for storing and organizing your stamps, such as stamp albums, stockbooks, and stamp mounts. Regularly attend stamp shows, auctions, and club meetings to learn more about stamp collecting and find new additions for your collection.

5. Is stamp collecting a profitable hobby?

While stamp collecting can be a fun and rewarding hobby, it is not typically considered a profitable venture. The value of stamps can fluctuate, and it can be difficult to sell them for a profit unless you have a rare or highly sought-after stamp. However, the enjoyment and satisfaction gained from collecting stamps can make it a valuable and worthwhile pursuit for many individuals.