Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stand-alone executables

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    Hi guys and girls!

I'm using QtCreator to write some simple applications and have tried my utmost to figure out how to create stand-alone executables (i.e. executables I could distribute to friends etc). Long story short, I just can't figure out how this stuff works (and yes, I've Googled).

Anyone know of any relatively straightforward ways of doing this? Know of useful links with dumbed down explanations? Anything at all (even if it isn't necessarily Qt related, I also sometimes use DevC++ and the MinGW compiler).

Here's an example of what I consider to be waaaay over my head:

[/url]http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/deployment-windows.html [Broken][/URL]

I need something simpler than this if such a thing exists...

Cheers!
    phyz

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    While I wouldn't call the instructions at the link you gave "straightforward", they seem to be followable...presuming that they are correct and complete... Did you try? How about trying with one of their demos like the "Plug&Paint" they use?

There is a bit of a mystery in the first instruction about including any options that you require, which doesn't help much in deciding what options you might require. At a guess, if your program doesn't use any external libraries, you may not need any options.

I have no idea what QT is, but there must be a user's group or help forum someplace, eh?

4. Jul 24, 2010 #3
    I just realised now that I messed up the url tag :redface:

I've searched their forums, most of the related posts link to the page I included above. Will keep trying though :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook