1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Conditions and Molar Enthalpy Changes

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    The following is a list of various quantities (molar enthalpy changes) found in a typical Chemistry course:

• Atomization Enthalpy
    • Formation Enthalpy
    • Combustion Enthalpy
    • Neutralization Enthalpy
    • Solution Enthalpy
    • Hydration Enthalpy
    • Ionization Energy
    • Electron Affinity
    • Lattice Energy
    • Bond Energy (and mean bond energy)
    • Lattice Dissociation Enthalpy
    • Reaction Enthalpy
    For which of the aforementioned quantities is it meaningful to include "standard conditions" as a part of the quantity's definition?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is a pretty good homework question if you ask me. Moving it.

Whether it is HW or not - what are your thoughts?

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    It's not homework actually.
    Well, I think standard conditions are applicable to all of the above quantities except atomization enthalpy, ionization energy, electron affinity, and bond energy. Is that correct? Frankly, I still have trouble imagining how we can extrapolate other molar enthalpy values to standard conditions. Anyway, is my answer correct?

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4
    ?

6. Oct 22, 2014 #5

Borek

In general, if we want enthalpies of a process to be comparable, we have to somehow extrapolate them - if not to standard, then at least to identical conditions.

You can always use Hess law for that.

7. Oct 22, 2014 #6
    What about the first question?

8. Oct 22, 2014 #7

Borek

Doesn't "comparability" answer it?

Really, a lot depends on what you are aiming at, so the answer is "it depends".

9. Oct 22, 2014 #8
    So, for instance, would ionization energy at 298 K and 101 kPa differ from ionization energy at some other pressure and temperature?

10. Oct 22, 2014 #9

Borek

As far as I can tell, as long as the temperature is low enough for the molecules to be in the ground state - it shouldn't.

But I am not convinced measuring ionization energies of non-volatile elements can be done at low temperatures, so it can be a practical problem.

11. Oct 22, 2014 #10
    So is it correct to say that all of the quantities above depend on temperature and pressure to varying extents (however small)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted