Normal Distribution: PDF of a Normally Distributed Random Variable

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability density function of a normally distributed random variable with a mean of μ. The standard deviation is represented as d and can be found by equating the given PDF to the standard normal PDF and solving for d. The resulting equation for d is d = √(σ)/γ.
Gallagher

Homework Statement

A Normally distributed random variable with mean μ has a probability
density function given by

_ρ_...*...((-ρ2(x-μ)2)/2δ)
√2∏δ|...e^

Homework Equations

Its standard deviation is given by: A)ρ2/δ B)δ/ρ C)√δ|/ρ D)ρ/√δ| E)√δ|/2ρ

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know that the probability density function of a normal distribution is given by one over sigma * the square root of two pi, all times e to the power of negative (x minus mu) squared over 2 sigma squared.

The differences between this equation and the PDF for a normally distributed random variable then are minute and come to ro instead of 1 and the square of sigma instead of sigma in the outer part and ro squared as well as sigma not being squared in the denominator of the exponential.

What I don't know is how to parse out the standard deviation from all of this. Am I to integrate it? If not, which parts of the probability density function comprise its variance or standard deviation. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Also, apologies for my shoddy depiction and description of these equations. A clearer version of the problem I'm working on can be found here: http://www.7citylearning.com/cqf/pdf/maths_test.pdf It is question 13.

I'll also attach the notes I'm working off of in trying to solve this query.

Attachments

• Normal Dist Notes.png
    Normal Dist Notes.png
    47 KB · Views: 1,270
Physics news on Phys.org

Don't worry too much about the constant at the front, this is just to normalise the distribution (though it will be a useful check), the exponential gives it its shape.

As sigma has already be taken, to prevent confusion, let's call the standard deviation d

so you have
[tex] e^{-\frac{\gamma^2}{\sigma}\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2}}[/tex]

a normal distribution with standard deviation d, has
[tex] e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2d^2}}[/tex]

equating them we have
[tex] \frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2d^2}=\frac{\gamma^2}{\sigma}\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2}[/tex]

once you solve for d, you can check it makes sense in the normalisation constant.

Sir, you are a God among men. The brilliance of your statement, "As sigma has already be taken, to prevent confusion, let's call the standard deviation d", is beyond measure. You have my eternal gratitude.

I find the answer to be the following:

d = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{σ}}{\gamma}[/itex]

Where d is the standard deviation of variable for the given pdf. Could someone confirm/correct my result, please?

-Mike

Last edited:

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution, also known as a Gaussian distribution, is a statistical distribution that describes a symmetrical bell-shaped curve with the majority of data points clustered around the mean or average value. It is often used to model natural phenomena such as height, weight, and IQ scores.

2. What is the probability density function (PDF) of a normally distributed random variable?

The PDF of a normally distributed random variable is a mathematical function that describes the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a specific value. In a normal distribution, the PDF is a bell-shaped curve that is defined by the mean and standard deviation of the data.

3. How is the mean of a normal distribution calculated?

The mean of a normal distribution is equal to the center of the bell-shaped curve and is calculated by taking the sum of all the data points and dividing by the total number of data points. It is also known as the average or expected value of the distribution.

4. What is the significance of the standard deviation in a normal distribution?

The standard deviation in a normal distribution represents the spread or variability of the data. A smaller standard deviation indicates that the data points are clustered closely around the mean, while a larger standard deviation indicates a wider spread of data points. It is a measure of how much the data deviates from the mean.

5. Can a normal distribution be used to model all types of data?

No, a normal distribution may not be the best fit for all types of data. It is most suitable for continuous data that is symmetrical and unimodal (has one peak). If the data is skewed or has multiple peaks, a different distribution may be a better fit.