1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard deviation problem

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem 1.2 from the book Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2e) by Griffiths:

Suppose a rock is dropped off a cliff of height h. As it

falls, a million photos are snapped, at random intervals. On each picture the distance the rock has fallen is measured.

a) Find the standard deviation of the distribution.

3. The attempt at a solution

Starting with the equation of motion (assuming it falls in the positive x direction):

[tex]x(t)=x_0+v_0(t)+\frac{1}{2}at^2=\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

The time T it takes to fall:

[tex]h=\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
    [tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/tex]

Probability a picture is taken in interval dt:

[tex]\frac{dt}{T}=dt \sqrt{\frac{g}{2h}}=\frac{dx}{gt}\sqrt{\frac{g}{2h}}=\frac{1}{2h}\frac{1}{\sqrt{gt}}dx=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}}dx[/tex]

So the probability density is:

[tex]\rho(x)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}}[/tex]

Expectation Value:

[tex]\mu=\int_0^h x \rho(x)dx=\int_0^h x \frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}}dx=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{h}}\frac{2}{3}x^\frac{3}{2}=\frac{h}{3}[/tex]

Standard deviation:

[tex]\sigma^2=\int_0^h (x-\mu)^2 \rho(x)dx[/tex]
    [tex]\sigma^2=\int_0^h (x-\frac{h}{3})^2 \frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}}dx=\frac{4}{45}h^2[/tex]
    [tex]\sigma=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{45}}[/tex]

Look right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2
    I'm pretty sure that's right. How about this one:

Consider the Gaussian distribution [tex]\rho(x)=Ae^{-\lamba(x-a)^2}[/tex] where A, α, and λ are positive real constants.

Find <x>, <x²> and std dev.

[tex]<x>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} xAe^{-\lamba(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]<x^2>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2Ae^{-\lamba(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]\sigma^2=<x^2>-<x>^2[/tex]

I tried using integration by parts to evaluate the integrals, but I didn't get anywhere. I also tried looking them up on a table of integrals - also no luck.

I'm guessing <x>=a because a is the peak in a Gaussian distribution. But how do I show it?

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For <x> just change variables to t=(x-a). If A is properly normalized, you should find <x>=a after you cancel the antisymmetric part of the integral. For <x^2> there's a standard trick to find this. You know a formula for the integral of exp(-k*x^2) from x=-infinity to infinity, right? Call it I(k). Then the integral of x^2*exp(-x^2) is closely related to d/dk(I(k)) evaluated at k=1. Isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?