1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation Problem

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5064/picture1nk.png [Broken]

2. The attempt at a solution
    I know the area for -1.5 is .0668. I also know that the area of the positive half of the curve is .5000. I don't know how to figure out what the other blue piece is or how much the white space is worth.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since all they give you in the problem is x = -1.5, my guess is that you're supposed to find P(x < -1.5) and P(x > -1.5), and just assume that the white region is essentially not there.

On the other hand, I can see little tickmarks in the drawing, so maybe you're supposed to assume that they are at -1.5 and -1.25. Under this assumption you would be finding P(x < -1.5) and P(x > -1.25). Whichever way you decide to go, be sure to include your assumptions.

Regarding your other question, and assuming we want to find P(x > -1.25), the area under the curve between x = -1.25 and x = 0 is the same as the area between x = 0 and x = +1.25. Can you find that area/probability? Whatever that is, add it to the .50 you already have and your will have P(x > -1.25).

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are apparently given that the left boundary of the white (unshaded) region is -1.5. If you do not know the x-value for the right boundary, there is no way to answer this.

(I might be inclined to make a guess of x= -1, but that should be given in the problem.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook