1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    For sets X and Y, is it true that

[tex]s_{XY}=s_{X}\overline{Y}+s_{Y}\overline{X},[/tex]​

where [tex]s[/tex] represents the standard deviation and [tex]XY[/tex] is the set containing [tex]x_{i}y_{i}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    possibly...

4. Jun 8, 2007 #3
    First off, I assume you mean sample deviation? Standard deviation is a constant.

I doubt the result is true in general. However, there may be a specific case where the formula holds.

Do you have any idea what X and Y might be distributed as? Where does the problem arise?

5. Jun 8, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are X and Y, and what does XY really mean? How can x_iy_i make sense, since this will completely depend on how one labels elements of the sets (apparently they're sets) X and Y? It also presupposes that |X|=|Y| too.

6. Jun 9, 2007 #5

Simfish

Gold Member

Hi there. Remember me? :)

I think it means that the standard deviation of the union of X and Y is equal to the standard deviation of x * the mean of Y + the standard deviation of y * the mean of X.

Uggh I don't know how to prove those - have to go to some statistics textbooks...

Anyways, if Y mean = 100 and Y SD = 0, and X mean = 0 and X SD = 0, then the formula would compute a combined SD of 0. But then your combined sample has both elements of 0 and 100, and it must have a standard deviation. So the formula is not universally true.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook