Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    For sets X and Y, is it true that

[tex]s_{XY}=s_{X}\overline{Y}+s_{Y}\overline{X},[/tex]​

where [tex]s[/tex] represents the standard deviation and [tex]XY[/tex] is the set containing [tex]x_{i}y_{i}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    possibly...

4. Jun 8, 2007 #3
    First off, I assume you mean sample deviation? Standard deviation is a constant.

I doubt the result is true in general. However, there may be a specific case where the formula holds.

Do you have any idea what X and Y might be distributed as? Where does the problem arise?

5. Jun 8, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are X and Y, and what does XY really mean? How can x_iy_i make sense, since this will completely depend on how one labels elements of the sets (apparently they're sets) X and Y? It also presupposes that |X|=|Y| too.

6. Jun 9, 2007 #5

Simfish

Gold Member

Hi there. Remember me? :)

I think it means that the standard deviation of the union of X and Y is equal to the standard deviation of x * the mean of Y + the standard deviation of y * the mean of X.

Uggh I don't know how to prove those - have to go to some statistics textbooks...

Anyways, if Y mean = 100 and Y SD = 0, and X mean = 0 and X SD = 0, then the formula would compute a combined SD of 0. But then your combined sample has both elements of 0 and 100, and it must have a standard deviation. So the formula is not universally true.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?