Standard Deviation: Learn for Chemistry Lab Quiz

In summary, the student is having trouble with understanding the formula for standard deviation. They are also having trouble using the formula.
sportsstar469
i would post this in the chem section but more people view this one..

im having a quiz on standard deviation in chemistry lab onf riday, and I am not sure AT ALL how to do this. i tried asking the teacher but he's not to good at explaining. and i tried lookinga t the difficult to understand book on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you not know the formula or do you know the formula but not know how to use it? If the latter, what part specifically are you having trouble with?

DaleSpam said:
Do you not know the formula or do you know the formula but not know how to use it? If the latter, what part specifically are you having trouble with?

nope i don't know ANYTHING. i ssaw the formula in class but was still confused b ut i don't even know the formula now i lost the note for it.

This will get you started. This is the definition of the mean-squared deviation for n measurements:
http://www.xycoon.com/mean1.htm
The rms (or root mean squared) deviation is the square root of this.
Bob S.

Bob S said:
This will get you started. This is the definition of the mean-squared deviation for n measurements:
http://www.xycoon.com/mean1.htm
The rms (or root mean squared) deviation is the square root of this.
Bob S.

thanks for the link bob!
but it was really easy, i asked my lab teacher today i can't believe i thought it was hard.

now if only i could do the gas stoichiometry in ideal gas equations...
i have been dealing with stoichiometry the entire semester, yet, i always forget things that ci ysed to know. for instance this is a 15 week semester, we are in week 14. i have been getting the highest grades on all the exams(its a gen chem 1 class) anyway, my teacher will be like, this unit will be easy for you, its just like limiting reagnt problems, and ill be like, oh i forgot how to do those (event hough we did them 2 weeks ago)
i8 had a quiz today and i forgot how to use molarity even..

when i get the quiz back ill probably post the question on here. does anybody have a good site to look at gas stoichiometry explanations? has anybody ever heard of students forgetting the materials so quickly.

We do have a chemistry forum here. (hint, hint :smile:)

sportsstar469 said:
thanks for the link bob!
but it was really easy, i asked my lab teacher today i can't believe i thought it was hard.

now if only i could do the gas stoichiometry in ideal gas equations...
i have been dealing with stoichiometry the entire semester, yet, i always forget things that ci ysed to know. for instance this is a 15 week semester, we are in week 14. i have been getting the highest grades on all the exams(its a gen chem 1 class) anyway, my teacher will be like, this unit will be easy for you, its just like limiting reagnt problems, and ill be like, oh i forgot how to do those (event hough we did them 2 weeks ago)
i8 had a quiz today and i forgot how to use molarity even..

when i get the quiz back ill probably post the question on here. does anybody have a good site to look at gas stoichiometry explanations? has anybody ever heard of students forgetting the materials so quickly.

jtbell said:
We do have a chemistry forum here. (hint, hint :smile:)
if i have any more questions ill post them there ;). any opinions on te paragraph i just quoted in your experience?s

1. What is standard deviation in chemistry?

Standard deviation in chemistry is a statistical measure of the variability or spread of a set of data points. It is used to quantify how much the data points deviate from the mean or average value.

2. How is standard deviation calculated in chemistry?

The standard deviation in chemistry is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean. This value is then divided by the number of data points minus one.

3. Why is standard deviation important in chemistry?

Standard deviation is important in chemistry because it provides information about the reliability of data. It helps researchers determine how much the data points vary from the mean and if the data is normally distributed. It is also used to make predictions and draw conclusions from the data.

4. How is standard deviation used in chemistry experiments?

In chemistry experiments, standard deviation is used to assess the precision and accuracy of the data collected. It can also help identify outliers and determine the significance of differences between data sets. Additionally, it is used to calculate confidence intervals and perform hypothesis testing.

5. What is a high or low standard deviation in chemistry?

A high standard deviation in chemistry indicates that the data points are spread out over a larger range, while a low standard deviation indicates that the data is clustered around the mean. The magnitude of the standard deviation value depends on the units of the data points, so it is important to compare it to the mean and the context of the experiment.