Standard deviation

Homework Statement

i'm given the population mean and standard deviation. A new batch comes in and given a random sample. the question asks do i believe the new batch has a different mean from the overall average?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got the mean and standard deviation of the new batch. They are much different from the population mean and standard deviation. But i don't believe they are different the sample standard deviation is less than the population standard deviation, am i right in my thinking?

Answers and Replies

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You could make your "I think" more quantitative. For example, suppose that you are given the population mean and std.dev as [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex], and you measure a mean x on the random sample.

Now you can calculate the probability that if you were to do the experiment you just did, you would get a mean of at least x (or at most x, if [itex]x < \mu[/itex]), assuming that [itex](\mu, \sigma)[/itex] are the actual distribution.
If that gives you a very small probability (like 0.0002%) then that means that your assumption is probably incorrect - given that you've just done the experiment and still found that unprobable outcome.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

i'm given the population mean and standard deviation. A new batch comes in and given a random sample. the question asks do i believe the new batch has a different mean from the overall average?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got the mean and standard deviation of the new batch. They are much different from the population mean and standard deviation. But i don't believe they are different the sample standard deviation is less than the population standard deviation, am i right in my thinking?
Was this last thing supposed to be a sentence in English? It isn't.

Google "t-test" and/or "F-test", although these require normally-distributed data.

RGV