1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard deviation

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i'm given the population mean and standard deviation. A new batch comes in and given a random sample. the question asks do i believe the new batch has a different mean from the overall average?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so i got the mean and standard deviation of the new batch. They are much different from the population mean and standard deviation. But i don't believe they are different the sample standard deviation is less than the population standard deviation, am i right in my thinking?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could make your "I think" more quantitative. For example, suppose that you are given the population mean and std.dev as [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex], and you measure a mean x on the random sample.

Now you can calculate the probability that if you were to do the experiment you just did, you would get a mean of at least x (or at most x, if [itex]x < \mu[/itex]), assuming that [itex](\mu, \sigma)[/itex] are the actual distribution.
    If that gives you a very small probability (like 0.0002%) then that means that your assumption is probably incorrect - given that you've just done the experiment and still found that unprobable outcome.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was this last thing supposed to be a sentence in English? It isn't.

Google "t-test" and/or "F-test", although these require normally-distributed data.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook