Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Entropy

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    This is for my Chemical Engineering class, but it comes down to a thermodynamics question. I need to calculate the gibbs free energy for a few reactions, problem is some of the compounds (1-Buten-3-yne and Styrene) do not have standard entropy values that I can find. Without a standard entropy I cannot calculate the gibbs free energy as a function of temperature. I know they have to be out thre somewhere but I cannot find after extensive googling. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    Sweet, that got me Styrene (I was actually previously there when I was looking for 1-Buten-3-yne).

Is there no way to calculate standard entropy knowing the specific heat/heat capacity or enthalpy?

I still can't find 1-Buten-3-yne. All the links are purple!

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4
    You should really be looking directly for the free energies of formation rather than the entropies of formation. There is a table of free energies of formation in Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook. Another possible source is TRC Thermodynamic Tables, Hydrocarbons, Thermodynamics Research Center, Texas A & M, also, Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 11, supp.2, 1982.

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5
    Found it through that, thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook