1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Entropy

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    This is for my Chemical Engineering class, but it comes down to a thermodynamics question. I need to calculate the gibbs free energy for a few reactions, problem is some of the compounds (1-Buten-3-yne and Styrene) do not have standard entropy values that I can find. Without a standard entropy I cannot calculate the gibbs free energy as a function of temperature. I know they have to be out thre somewhere but I cannot find after extensive googling. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    Sweet, that got me Styrene (I was actually previously there when I was looking for 1-Buten-3-yne).

Is there no way to calculate standard entropy knowing the specific heat/heat capacity or enthalpy?

I still can't find 1-Buten-3-yne. All the links are purple!

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4
    You should really be looking directly for the free energies of formation rather than the entropies of formation. There is a table of free energies of formation in Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook. Another possible source is TRC Thermodynamic Tables, Hydrocarbons, Thermodynamics Research Center, Texas A & M, also, Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 11, supp.2, 1982.

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5
    Found it through that, thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook