Calculating Average Wave Speed and Standard Error

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the standard error for a set of wave speed values. They have already calculated the average wave speed to be 51.3, and are now looking for the standard error. They know that the standard error is equal to the standard deviation divided by the square root of the number of data points, but they are unsure of how to calculate the standard deviation. They are provided with two equations for standard deviation and are seeking help on how to use them to find the standard deviation and ultimately the standard error.
neoking77
[SOLVED] Standard error

Homework Statement

A student determined the following values for the wave speed; calculate the average value of the wave speed and its standard error

50.8, 50.6, 51.8, 52.0, 50.9, 51.6, 51.3, 51.5

Homework Equations

avg wave speed = 51.3

The Attempt at a Solution

how do i get the standard error? the answer is (51.3+/-0.2)
i am aware that Se = standard deviation / sqrt(number of data)
but I'm not sure how to get standard deviation.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Standard deviation is given by:

[tex]
\sigma = \sqrt {\frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{i = 0}^n {(x_i - \overline x )^2 } }
[/tex]

So what you can do is find the difference between each of the scores and the mean (which you calculated as 51.3) and then square those differences, and then add them all. Finally, divide it by the number of scores you have, and find the square root of it all.

Last edited:
Another form of the standard deviation equation is:
[tex]
\sigma = \sqrt {\frac{1}{n}\sum\limits_{i = 0}^n {x_i ^2 - \overline x ^2 } }
[/tex]

So another way is to add the squares of each score, then divide it by the total number of scores, then subtract the square of the mean, and then square root it all.

thank you very much!

1. What is the formula for calculating average wave speed?

The formula for calculating average wave speed is average wave speed = distance traveled / time taken. This formula is used to determine the average speed at which a wave travels through a medium.

2. How do you calculate standard error in wave speed?

The formula for calculating standard error in wave speed is standard error = standard deviation / √n, where n is the number of measurements taken. Standard error is a measure of how much the sample mean deviates from the true population mean, and it is often used to estimate the accuracy of the sample mean.

3. What is the significance of calculating average wave speed and standard error?

Calculating average wave speed and standard error is important because it allows us to determine the accuracy and precision of our measurements. By calculating these values, we can make more informed conclusions about the behavior of waves and their properties.

4. Can average wave speed and standard error be used to compare different waves?

Yes, average wave speed and standard error can be used to compare different waves. By calculating these values for different waves, we can determine which wave travels faster or if there is a significant difference in their speeds. This can provide valuable insights into the properties of different types of waves.

5. How can we minimize error when calculating average wave speed and standard error?

To minimize error when calculating average wave speed and standard error, it is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average. This can help to reduce random errors and provide a more accurate representation of the true value. Additionally, ensuring proper experimental techniques and using appropriate equipment can also help to minimize error.