Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Standard form permutation

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the problem states solve for n.
    nP4 = 8(nP4)

2. Relevant equations

no relevant equat. i can think of?

3. The attempt at a solution
    my attempt at this was nP4 = 8(nP3)
    idk what i tried to do, but i tried to get it in standard form i guess: n!/ (n-4) = 8(n!)/(n-3)
    it doesnt seem right so im quite stuck. help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Re: permutations

No, you are on the right track. However you forgot the extra factorial signs:

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}=\frac{8n!}{(n-3)!}[/tex]

Now solve for n by using what you know about factorials to simplify the equation.

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

yeah, this is the stage im talking about, exactly what am i suppose to do to simplify.
    im thinking to cross mult. b/c its a proportion and turn it into a quad form? the problem is, the factorials; how can I simplify with all of them? and there are no factorials for N! (that I can solve out) :confused:

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Use the fact that [itex]n!=n(n-1)!=n(n-1)(n-2)![/itex] etc. and solve the equation like you would any other equation (dividing by n! on both sides would be a good start).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Feb 18, 2010 #5

hmm okay i understand.
    i tried that and this was my process/answer:
    i cross mult - n!(n-3)!=8n!(n-4)
    i then divided (as you suggested) n!(n-3)!/8n! = 8n!(n-4)!/8n!
    i then tried to isolate the N by adding the 4 onto the other side giving me (n+1)!/8 = n!

I tried solving like a normal equation by dividing but the N on both sides confuses me, if I do something with it; won't it cancel?
    what step did I get wrong?

7. Feb 18, 2010 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

You're making things more complicated than they need to be. Let's start again.

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}=\frac{8n!}{(n-3)!}[/tex]

now, using the rule I told you, we will apply it in a way to make both sides more equivalent in a sense.
    Notice that if [itex]n!=n(n-1)![/itex] then similarly, [itex](n-3)!=(n-3)(n-4)![/itex]

So we have [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}=\frac{8n!}{(n-3)(n-4)!}[/tex]

Now divide both sides by [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}[/tex] and you're cleared of all factorials.

8. Feb 18, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh and by the way, you went wrong on this line:

From the line before: [tex]\frac{n!(n-3)!}{8n!} = \frac{8n!(n-4)!}{8n!}[/tex]

Simplified: [tex]\frac{(n-3)!}{8}=(n-4)![/tex]

And now using the rule (properly) you should have [tex]\frac{(n-3)(n-4)!}{8}=(n-4)![/tex]

And now you can divide through by (n-4)!

9. Feb 21, 2010 #8

ooh okay thanks :)
    you helped me alot, there are some aspects i still dont understand however, but i'll ask my teacher. youre a big help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook