1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Standard form permutation

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the problem states solve for n.
    nP4 = 8(nP4)

2. Relevant equations

no relevant equat. i can think of?

3. The attempt at a solution
    my attempt at this was nP4 = 8(nP3)
    idk what i tried to do, but i tried to get it in standard form i guess: n!/ (n-4) = 8(n!)/(n-3)
    it doesnt seem right so im quite stuck. help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Re: permutations

No, you are on the right track. However you forgot the extra factorial signs:

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}=\frac{8n!}{(n-3)!}[/tex]

Now solve for n by using what you know about factorials to simplify the equation.

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

yeah, this is the stage im talking about, exactly what am i suppose to do to simplify.
    im thinking to cross mult. b/c its a proportion and turn it into a quad form? the problem is, the factorials; how can I simplify with all of them? and there are no factorials for N! (that I can solve out) :confused:

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Use the fact that [itex]n!=n(n-1)!=n(n-1)(n-2)![/itex] etc. and solve the equation like you would any other equation (dividing by n! on both sides would be a good start).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Feb 18, 2010 #5

hmm okay i understand.
    i tried that and this was my process/answer:
    i cross mult - n!(n-3)!=8n!(n-4)
    i then divided (as you suggested) n!(n-3)!/8n! = 8n!(n-4)!/8n!
    i then tried to isolate the N by adding the 4 onto the other side giving me (n+1)!/8 = n!

I tried solving like a normal equation by dividing but the N on both sides confuses me, if I do something with it; won't it cancel?
    what step did I get wrong?

7. Feb 18, 2010 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

You're making things more complicated than they need to be. Let's start again.

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}=\frac{8n!}{(n-3)!}[/tex]

now, using the rule I told you, we will apply it in a way to make both sides more equivalent in a sense.
    Notice that if [itex]n!=n(n-1)![/itex] then similarly, [itex](n-3)!=(n-3)(n-4)![/itex]

So we have [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}=\frac{8n!}{(n-3)(n-4)!}[/tex]

Now divide both sides by [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-4)!}[/tex] and you're cleared of all factorials.

8. Feb 18, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh and by the way, you went wrong on this line:

From the line before: [tex]\frac{n!(n-3)!}{8n!} = \frac{8n!(n-4)!}{8n!}[/tex]

Simplified: [tex]\frac{(n-3)!}{8}=(n-4)![/tex]

And now using the rule (properly) you should have [tex]\frac{(n-3)(n-4)!}{8}=(n-4)![/tex]

And now you can divide through by (n-4)!

9. Feb 21, 2010 #8

ooh okay thanks :)
    you helped me alot, there are some aspects i still dont understand however, but i'll ask my teacher. youre a big help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook