Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Standard Gibbs of a reaction

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the reaction N2(g) + 3H2(g) <---> 2NH3(g)

I am supposed to determine the equilibrium constant at 298K and 1 bar. We have been given a table that states that

for NH3(g):
    [itex]\Delta_{r}G^{\Theta}= -16.45 kJ/mol[/itex]

I know that
    [itex]\Delta_{r}G^{\Theta}= \Sigma v G^{\Theta}_{product} - \Sigma v G^{\Theta}_{reactant}[/itex]

where v is the stoichiometric coefficient.

But what is confusing me is that you could also write the equation as

1/2 N2(g) + (3/2)(g) <----> NH3(g)

so in the first case, the answer would be

(2*-16.45 kJ/mol) - ((1*0)+(3*0)) = -32.90 kJ/mol

But in the second case, the answer would be

(-16.45 kJ/mol) - (1/2*0 + 3/2 *0) = -16.45 kJ/mol

Since both equations should be valid, what answer is correct? I don't understand which one I should choose because they both look like the should be right.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

In the two cases, the expression for the equilibrium constant will be different. In the first case K = [NH3]^2/[N2][H2]^3 whereas in the second case K = [NH3]/[N2]^(1/2)[H2]^(3/2). This is why you always need to include a balanced reaction along with any equilibrium constant you provide.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    Hey, I had the same concern. They are both right; it depends on the stoichiometry. The professor would have to specify which one he is looking for like he did last time.

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4
    Thanks guys! Did he specify last time? I must not have understood him. This was really confusing me, good to know that both are right! I feel better now. :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook