1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Gibbs of a reaction

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the reaction N2(g) + 3H2(g) <---> 2NH3(g)

I am supposed to determine the equilibrium constant at 298K and 1 bar. We have been given a table that states that

for NH3(g):
    [itex]\Delta_{r}G^{\Theta}= -16.45 kJ/mol[/itex]

I know that
    [itex]\Delta_{r}G^{\Theta}= \Sigma v G^{\Theta}_{product} - \Sigma v G^{\Theta}_{reactant}[/itex]

where v is the stoichiometric coefficient.

But what is confusing me is that you could also write the equation as

1/2 N2(g) + (3/2)(g) <----> NH3(g)

so in the first case, the answer would be

(2*-16.45 kJ/mol) - ((1*0)+(3*0)) = -32.90 kJ/mol

But in the second case, the answer would be

(-16.45 kJ/mol) - (1/2*0 + 3/2 *0) = -16.45 kJ/mol

Since both equations should be valid, what answer is correct? I don't understand which one I should choose because they both look like the should be right.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

In the two cases, the expression for the equilibrium constant will be different. In the first case K = [NH3]^2/[N2][H2]^3 whereas in the second case K = [NH3]/[N2]^(1/2)[H2]^(3/2). This is why you always need to include a balanced reaction along with any equilibrium constant you provide.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    Hey, I had the same concern. They are both right; it depends on the stoichiometry. The professor would have to specify which one he is looking for like he did last time.

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4
    Thanks guys! Did he specify last time? I must not have understood him. This was really confusing me, good to know that both are right! I feel better now. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook