1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard mech Q

1. Jan 16, 2006 #1
    hi this is a simple question but for some reason it's not clicking.

A ball of mass 0.5kg is pulled across a smooth horizontal floor by a horizontal string attached to the dog. The tension in the string is 0.75N. Calculate the acceleration produced. Given the ball starts from rest, determine how far it will move in 2 seconds.

I know how to do the second part but some help would be appreciated on the first bit please.

F resultant = F - T
    F-0.75 = ma
    a = F- 0.75 /0.5
    errm...and then?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2006 #2
    Is the ball rolling? or is it dragging across the floor? Some coeffeciant of friction would be needed if it was being dragged.
  4. Jan 16, 2006 #3
    oops sorry i didn't read the question properly, it's actually a bag and it's being pulled across.
  5. Jan 16, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since the floor is smooth, I would assume that the only horizontal force acting on the bag is the tension in the string, which is given.
  6. Jan 16, 2006 #5
    Of course, because then the acceleration = 1.5 which is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?