What are some recommended textbooks for Standard Mechanical Physics?

In summary, the current physics textbook is awful and I am failing the courses. My prof doesn't teach and I just don't have the time to google up everything I need. I need a textbook that would provide me with everything I need to fully understand the material (need COMPLETE & accurate & EASY to understand). Please, suggest a good book. It need to cover the below topics. Suggest mutiple books for each topic if necessary.
zmike
My current physics textbook is awful:

-offers a small blurb (E.g. 3 sentences for Doppler effect.
E.g. NO explanation as to why tension force is reduced when pulleys are present)

-NO explanation or example problems or how to use the formulas.

in turn, I am failing the courses and I can't do HALF of the hwk problems. My prof doesn't teach and I just don't have the time to google up everything I really need a COMPLETE textbook. I am doing my BSc Engineering in 1st year.

Please help, I am desperate. I need a textbook that would provide me with everything I need to fully understand the material (need COMPLETE & accurate & EASY to understand. Please, suggest a good book. It need to cover the below topics. Suggest mutiple books for each topic if necessary.

Thank You

WAVES
20. Traveling Waves.
21. Superposition.
22. Wave Optics.
23. Ray Optics.

# The Wave Model
# Speed of Waves on a String
# Sinusoidal Waves
# Spherical Waves, Plane Waves
# Sound and Light
# Power and Intensity
# The Doppler Effect
# The Principle of Superposition
# Standing Waves
ETC...ELECTROMAGENTISM
ƒ Electric Forces and Electric Fields
ƒ Electric Potential Energy
ƒ The Electric Potential
ƒ Equipotentials and Energy in Capacitors
ƒ Currents, Resistance, and Resistivity
ƒ Circuits and Kirchoff’s Laws
ƒ Magnetic Fields and Magnetic Force

SPECIAL RELATIVITY BASICS

From Knight's Physics for Scientists and Engineers
Waves (Chapters 20 – 23)
Electricity & Magnetism (Chapters 26 – 33)
The Special Theory of Relativity (Chapter 37)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you just need a book to explain concepts you should consider the feynman lectures

THe Feynman lectures are really good, but definitely not easy to understand. Furthermore, from an engineering pt of view, they might be unproductive (they are fabulous from a physicist's point of view). If you really have a lot of time to spare, the Feynman lectures are great. But they probably won't help you pass the course. They have few examples, and no practice problems.

For less abstract and more easy physics, I have found Tipler's "Physics for scientists and engineers" to be very complete, accurate and to use great rigor in their derivations (strong emphasis on vector notation etc...). Some of the problems are challenging though, but it has full of worked out problems.

For waves, I think the MIT opencourseware 8.03 lectures (Waves&Optics) to be awesome, perhaps the best lectures by Walter Levin. Concise, precise and rigorous. You can find the lectures on youtube.

1. What is Standard Mechanical Physics?

Standard Mechanical Physics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces on macroscopic objects. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation established by Sir Isaac Newton.

2. What are the basic principles of Standard Mechanical Physics?

The basic principles of Standard Mechanical Physics are the laws of motion, which include the law of inertia, the law of acceleration, and the law of action and reaction. It also includes the law of universal gravitation, which describes the force of attraction between two objects.

3. How is Standard Mechanical Physics different from other branches of physics?

Standard Mechanical Physics is different from other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics or relativity, because it deals with macroscopic objects and their motion, rather than microscopic particles or high-speed phenomena. It also relies on classical theories and principles, rather than the more modern and complex theories used in other branches.

4. What are some real-world applications of Standard Mechanical Physics?

Standard Mechanical Physics has many real-world applications, including designing machines and structures, understanding the motion of planets and satellites, and predicting the behavior of fluids and gases. It is also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and aerospace.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Standard Mechanical Physics?

One common misconception about Standard Mechanical Physics is that it is outdated and has been replaced by more modern theories. While it may not fully explain all phenomena, it is still a fundamental and widely applicable branch of physics. Another misconception is that it only applies to objects on Earth, when in fact it can also be used to describe motion and forces in outer space.