Standard Model (Forces interacting with Matter)

In summary: No, my point is that the mass of the quarks, leptons and W/Z comes from different mechanisms, while the mass of the neutrinos (as well as most of the mass in the universe) comes from the energy of gluons trapped in hadrons.
heavybuilder
Not the best at physics but trying to understand the standard model. So can someone please tell me if this is right or not and if not, can you explain me why?

Higgs bosons reacts with everything that has mass.
Electromagnetic force reacts with everything that has charge.
Weak force reacts with everything that has spin.
Strong force reacts with everything that has color.

Physics news on Phys.org
heavybuilder said:
Electric charge.
heavybuilder said:
No. Gluons and photons have spin 1, for example. The weak interaction interacts with everything that has a weak charge, which happens to be every particle apart from gluons, photons and Higgs bosons. For the interaction between Higgs bosons and W/Z it is unclear if you want to call that a weak interaction or an interaction of the Higgs.

So
Electromagnetic force reacts with everything that has electric charge.
Weak force reacts with everything that has weak hypercharge.

If it would react to everything that has a weak hypercharge than it should also react to the Higgs boson because its weak hypercharge is +1.

And yes I ment electric charge.

heavybuilder said:
Weak force reacts with everything that has weak hypercharge.
This is not really true either. The currents coupling to W and Z bosons are rather complicated. Weak hypercharge is the unbroken U(1) above electroweak symmetry breaking. Z bosons couple to a linear combination of weak hypercharge and the third component of weak isospin. W bosons only couple to left-handed particles as they belong purely to the standard model SU(2), which is chiral.

Edit: Also, I would suggest learning the standard model from the basic gauge interactions rather than trying to learn it in terms of a mantra on the form "this interacts with that".

Likes dlgoff
heavybuilder said:
Not the best at physics but trying to understand the standard model. So can someone please tell me if this is right or not and if not, can you explain me why?

Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model_(mathematical_formulation)

"Interactions" are those terms of the Lagrangian where you have more than one type of field (or a derivative of one). You can read off "what interacts with what" by looking at the fields in such terms.

The terms which have only one type of field are "kinetic terms" and describe how this field's particles fly freely when they do not interact with anything.

Likes Spinnor
nikkkom said:
The terms which have only one type of field are "kinetic terms" and describe how this field's particles fly freely when they do not interact with anything.
This is not entirely correct. For example you have the terms of the Higgs potential and the self-interaction terms of the non-Abelian gauge groups.

nikkkom said:
I guess you meant only field derivatives?

heavybuilder said:

No. Higgs mechanism gives rise to the mass of the quarks, of the charged leptons and possibly of the W and Z bosons.

But, it isn't clear if neutrinos get their masses from the Higgs mechanism or not (in the SM before neutrinos were discovered to have mass, they did not).

Also, most of the mass in the universe comes from the energy of gluons trapped in hadrons (such as protons and neutrons) and not from the quarks in those hadrons. The Higgs mechanism has nothing to do with the mass that arises from strong force interactions, which is most of the ordinary matter mass in the universe.

(Edited to remove "Higgs boson" as the portion of the Higgs mechanism responsible.)

Last edited:
ohwilleke said:
Higgs bosons together with the Higgs field give rise to the mass of the quarks, of the charged leptons and possibly of the W and Z bosons

The HIggs bosons have nothing to do with the mass of the quarks,leptons and W/Z. They are real particles that interact with fermions via Yukawa interactions (as scalars supposed to do), with couplings proportional to the fermions' masses.

ChrisVer said:
The HIggs bosons have nothing to do with the mass of the quarks,leptons and W/Z. They are real particles that interact with fermions via Yukawa interactions (as scalars supposed to do), with couplings proportional to the fermions' masses.

So, is your point to distinguish the Higgs boson from the Higgs field?

ohwilleke said:
So, is your point to distinguish the Higgs boson from the Higgs field?
its a relic [extra dof] but not what's responsible for the mass [which is the field's vev in what you've listed]...

Orodruin, is it possible that the chart at the Wikipedia link: "Weak Hypercharge", showing that the Z boson possesses neither Weak Isospin or Weak Hyper charge, is in error, as you mention above that "Z bosons couple to a linear combination of weak hypercharge and the third component of weak isospin."? Assuming that chart is correct, then for sure I need to follow the advice you gave to "heavybuilder" on "...learning the Standard Model from the basic gauge interactions...".

Please never refer to a page without providing the actual link.

I said that the Z couples to a linear combination of the weak isospin and weak hypercharge currents (i.e., it will interact with particles carrying those charges), not that it carries weak isospin or hypercharge (hence no 3Z vertex).

What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in particle physics that describes the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that interact between them. It is currently the best explanation we have for the behavior of subatomic particles.

What are the fundamental particles in the Standard Model?

The Standard Model describes 12 fundamental particles, divided into two categories: fermions and bosons. Fermions are the building blocks of matter and include quarks and leptons. Bosons are particles that mediate the fundamental forces, such as the photon for electromagnetism and the gluon for the strong nuclear force.

What are the four fundamental forces in the Standard Model?

The four fundamental forces in the Standard Model are electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and gravity. These forces are responsible for all interactions between particles in the universe.

How does the Standard Model explain the interactions between particles?

The Standard Model uses mathematical equations to describe how particles interact with each other through the fundamental forces. These interactions are mediated by the exchange of bosons between particles.

What are the limitations of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is unable to explain certain phenomena, such as the existence of dark matter and dark energy, and the unequal strengths of the fundamental forces. It also does not include gravity, which is described by the theory of general relativity. Scientists are currently working on developing a more comprehensive theory that can incorporate these limitations.