Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Takeoff Temperature

1. Jan 12, 2007 #1
    Does anyone have any idea of general guidelines defining the minimum temperature at which a commercial flight can take off the ground? I understand that they generally use the criteria of ice to determine activity, but at a certain temperature is there a point of no go regardless of temperature because of effects on the aircraft?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

None that I have ever heard of. The limiting factors, other than icing as you mentioned are usually subsystems, i.e. hydraulics and engines that have a difficult time in the colder climates especially after soak periods. Aircraft have flown in every climate on this planet, including the south pole and are flight tested in extreme climates for just that reason. There is no material limitation to the colds that we could experience. As a matter of fact, the environment that most aircraft travel in at altitude is extremely cold (the last time I flew our company's jet, it was very close to -70°F).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?