Standard version of covariant derivative properties

In summary, the covariant derivative is a multilinear map that takes in a vector field and outputs another tensor. It satisfies various properties, including acting on scalar fields, tensor sums, and tensor contractions. There are two different definitions of the covariant derivative, but they can be shown to be equivalent. Additionally, the covariant derivative is only defined in a coordinate neighborhood, but this is all that is needed for its properties to hold.
Shirish
[Throughout we're considering the intrinsic version of the covariant derivative. The extrinsic version isn't of any concern.]

I'm having trouble reconciling different versions of the properties to be satisfied by the covariant derivative. Essentially ##\nabla## sends ##(p,q)##-tensors to ##(p,q+1)##-tensors. I'll write down the required properties for ##\nabla## from the two sources.

Source 1: This lecture (relevant timestamp linked):
If ##X## is a vector field,
1. ##\nabla_Xf=Xf##, for a scalar field ##f##
2. ##\nabla_X(T+S)=\nabla_XT+\nabla_XS##
3. ##\nabla_X(T(\omega,Y))=(\nabla_XT)(\omega,Y)+T(\nabla_X\omega,Y)+T(\omega,\nabla_XY)##
4. ##\nabla_{fX+Z}\ T=f\nabla_XT+\nabla_ZT##
Source 2: Core principles of special and general relativity (Luscombe):
1. ##\nabla_if=\partial_if##
2. ##\nabla(aT+bS)=a\nabla T+b\nabla S## for real ##a,b##
3. ##\nabla(S\otimes T)=(\nabla S)\otimes T+S\otimes (\nabla T)##
4. ##\nabla## commutes with contractions, ##\nabla_i(T^j_{\ \ jk})=(\nabla T)^j_{\ \ ijk}##
At least the second property is consistent. The first property from the book is a more restrictive version of the first property from the lecture. In fact, ##\nabla_i## means ##\nabla_{\partial_i}## and ##\partial_i## isn't even a vector field!

As for the last two properties from the two sources, I have no idea on how to relate them. Are these requirements incomplete for either of the sources?

If not, how can these two sets of requirements be shown to be equivalent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shirish said:
##\partial_i## isn't even a vector field!
Why not? It's only defined in a coordinate neighborhood, but that's all you need anyway (since ##(\nabla_XT)(p)## depends only on the value of ##X## at ##p##, and ##T## in a neighborhood of ##p##).

Item (3) in the first definition follows from the second definition because ##T(\omega,Y)## is a contraction of ##T\otimes\omega\otimes Y.##

Item 4 in definition 1 just follows from ##\nabla T## being a tensor: ##\nabla_{fX+Z}T=(\nabla T)(fX+Z)=f \nabla T (X)+ \nabla T(Z)=f\nabla_XT+\nabla_ZT.##

I wasn't able to tell from your post: do you have issues with the first two points in either definition?

Also beware the slight shift in notation between the two sources. Your first definition doesn't consider the full tensor ##\nabla T##, only ##\nabla_XT## for a vector field ##X##. This corresponds to ##(\nabla T)(X)## in the second definition, which makes sense, because if ##T## is a ##(p,q)## tensor, then ##\nabla T## is a ##(p,q+1)## tensor, so it can be applied to a vector field ##X##, to give back another ##(p,q)## tensor.

• Informative
Likes Shirish
Infrared said:
Why not? It's only defined in a coordinate neighborhood, but that's all you need anyway (since ##(\nabla_XT)(p)## depends only on the value of ##X## at ##p##, and ##T## in a neighborhood of ##p##).

Item (3) in the first definition follows from the second definition because ##T(\omega,Y)## is a contraction of ##T\otimes\omega\otimes Y.##

Item 4 in definition 1 just follows from ##\nabla T## being a tensor: ##\nabla_{fX+Z}T=(\nabla T)(fX+Z)=f \nabla T (X)+ \nabla T(Z)=f\nabla_XT+\nabla_ZT.##

I wasn't able to tell from your post: do you have issues with the first two points in either definition?

Also beware the slight shift in notation between the two sources. Your first definition doesn't consider the full tensor ##\nabla T##, only ##\nabla_XT## for a vector field ##X##. This corresponds to ##(\nabla T)(X)## in the second definition, which makes sense, because if ##T## is a ##(p,q)## tensor, then ##\nabla T## is a ##(p,q+1)## tensor, so it can be applied to a vector field ##X##, to give back another ##(p,q)## tensor.
Thanks as usual! A couple of things that I'm in the dark about since they weren't explicitly mentioned in either source:

1. The definition of tensor that I've come across is that it's a multilinear map with ##\mathbb{R}## as the target space. Is there an alternative definition of tensor I'm missing out on? Confused because you mentioned in the last para that a ##(p,q+1)## tensor eats a vector to give a ##(p,q)## tensor.

2. Could you elaborate just a bit on what you mean by ##T(\omega, Y)## being a contraction of ##T\otimes\omega\otimes Y##?

3. Applying covariant derivative on the above, we get
$$\nabla(T\otimes\omega\otimes Y)=(\nabla T)\otimes(\omega\otimes Y)+T\otimes(\nabla\omega\otimes Y)+T\otimes(\omega\otimes\nabla Y)$$ Then we can act the LHS and RHS on a vector field ##X## to get
$$\nabla_X(T(\omega,Y))=[(\nabla T)\otimes(\omega\otimes Y)](X)+[T\otimes(\nabla\omega\otimes Y)](X)+[T\otimes(\omega\otimes\nabla Y)](X)$$ How do I incorporate the ##X##'s into the individual terms on the RHS?

Shirish said:
1. The definition of tensor that I've come across is that it's a multilinear map with ##\mathbb{R}## as the target space. Is there an alternative definition of tensor I'm missing out on? Confused because you mentioned in the last para that a ##(p,q+1)## tensor eats a vector to give a ##(p,q)## tensor.

If ##T:(V^*)^{p}\times V^{q+1}\to\mathbb{R}## is a ##(p,q+1)## tensor, and ##X## is a vector, then you can define a ##(p,q)## tensor by ##(TX)(\varphi_1,\ldots,\varphi_p,Y_1,\ldots,Y_q)=T(\varphi_1,\ldots,\varphi_p,Y_1,\ldots,Y_q,X)##.

Shirish said:
2. Could you elaborate just a bit on what you mean by ##T(\omega, Y)## being a contraction of ##T\otimes\omega\otimes Y##?
I'm not sure what type of tensors ##T,\omega,Y## are supposed to be from looking at that expression, but
I think an example should make it clear: suppose ##g=g_{ij}dx^i\otimes dx^j## is ##(0,2)## form and ##V=V^p\partial_p## and ##W=W^q\partial_q##. Then ##g\otimes V\otimes W=g_{ij}V^pW^q dx^i\otimes dx^j\otimes\partial_p\otimes\partial_q.## Contracting (i.e. taking the trace) the indices ##i,p## and ##j,q## gives ##g_{ij}V^iW^j##, which is ##g(V,W).##

Shirish said:
3. Applying covariant derivative on the above, we get
$$\nabla(T\otimes\omega\otimes Y)=(\nabla T)\otimes(\omega\otimes Y)+T\otimes(\nabla\omega\otimes Y)+T\otimes(\omega\otimes\nabla Y)$$ Then we can act the LHS and RHS on a vector field ##X## to get
$$\nabla_X(T(\omega,Y))=[(\nabla T)\otimes(\omega\otimes Y)](X)+[T\otimes(\nabla\omega\otimes Y)](X)+[T\otimes(\omega\otimes\nabla Y)](X)$$ How do I incorporate the ##X##'s into the individual terms on the RHS?

Your last line isn't correct. You contracted on the LHS but not the RHS.

Anyway, you should read rule 3 in the second definition as ##\nabla_X(S\otimes T)=\nabla_XS\otimes T+S\otimes\nabla_XT.## I think it's a little bit sloppy (if not wrong) to write it as they did, because you want the ##1##-forms introduced by differentiation to appear at the end of the tensor, so that they act on a vector you apply to. See the answer in https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...ule-for-covariant-derivative-of-tensor-fields

With that in mind, start with ##T\otimes \omega\otimes Y.## Contracting first and then differentiating gives ##\nabla_X(T(\omega,Y))##. Differentiating first, and then contracting gives ##(\nabla_X T)(\omega,Y)+T(\nabla_X\omega,Y)+T(\omega,\nabla_XY).## These must be equal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Shirish
Infrared said:

One last doubt regarding the above. Even we if we want to calculate something like ##\nabla_{\partial_i}T(p)##, ##\partial_i## will be the ##i##-th element of the coordinate induced basis, so ultimately ##\nabla_{\partial_i}T(p)## will be chart dependent.

This problem doesn't occur with ##\nabla_XT(p)## since ##X(p)## is a well-defined vector in a unique direction at ##p##. That was my reason for not calling ##\partial_i## a vector field (at least, not in the same sense as ordinary vector fields like ##X##). Another reason being that ##\partial_i##, being chart-dependent, I don't see how it is a well-defined section of the tangent bundle on ##M##.

Does this mean that I should treat ##\nabla_{\partial_i}T(p)## as the chart-induced derivative of ##T## at ##p##? (similar to how ##X^i(p)## represents a chart-induced component of ##X(p)##)

Shirish said:
Another reason being that ##\partial_i##, being chart-dependent, I don't see how it is a well-defined section of the tangent bundle on ##M##.
Given a coordinate system on a neighborhood ##U##, then ##\partial_i## is a well-defined section of the tangent bundle restricted to ##U.## For ##p\in U##, it smoothly assigns ##\partial_i\big\vert_p\in T_pU##. This is the definition of a section.

It does depend on the coordinate system, but this is fine. It just means that you can get different vector fields depending on which coordinate system you choose.

You'll want to use this in computations. If you want to compute ##\nabla_XT## in some example, you'll generally expand ##X=X^i\partial_i## in some coordinate system, and compute ##\nabla_XT=X^i\nabla_iT,## just like if you want to compute a directional derivative: ##Xf=X^i\partial_if.##

Likes Shirish

What is the standard version of covariant derivative properties?

The standard version of covariant derivative properties is a set of mathematical rules and properties that govern the behavior of covariant derivatives in differential geometry. These properties are essential for understanding the behavior of tensors and vector fields in curved spaces.

What are the primary properties of the standard version of covariant derivatives?

The primary properties of the standard version of covariant derivatives include linearity, product rule, and Leibniz rule. Linearity states that the covariant derivative of a linear combination of tensor fields is equal to the linear combination of their individual covariant derivatives. The product rule states that the covariant derivative of the product of two tensor fields is equal to the product of their individual covariant derivatives. The Leibniz rule states that the covariant derivative of the tensor product of two tensor fields is equal to the sum of the tensor product of their individual covariant derivatives.

How do these properties affect the behavior of covariant derivatives?

The properties of linearity, product rule, and Leibniz rule allow us to manipulate and simplify expressions involving covariant derivatives, making it easier to solve problems in differential geometry. These properties also help us understand the relationship between different tensor fields and how they change as we move along a curved space.

Are there any other important properties of the standard version of covariant derivatives?

Yes, there are several other important properties of the standard version of covariant derivatives, including the torsion-free property, metric compatibility, and the Christoffel symbols. The torsion-free property states that the covariant derivative of a vector field is symmetric, while metric compatibility ensures that the covariant derivative of a metric tensor is equal to zero. The Christoffel symbols are used to calculate the covariant derivative of a tensor field in terms of the metric tensor and its derivatives.

How are the standard version of covariant derivative properties used in physics?

The standard version of covariant derivative properties is used extensively in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity and quantum field theory. These properties are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime and for formulating the equations that govern the behavior of particles and fields in quantum mechanics. They are also used in other branches of physics, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, to study the behavior of physical systems in curved spaces.