Standardized Test math question

• Thread starter member 508213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation involved a problem on a test that required finding the length of a belt. The person was initially stuck on how to find the length between two circles, but after discussing and using a provided image, they were able to solve the problem. The key steps involved finding the portion of the belt covering the circles and then using a right triangle to find the remaining length.
member 508213
I was taking a test yesterday and this question came up, it could possibly be the only one I missed on the test. I roughly sketched and described the problem to the best of my memory, but I guarantee that all of the essential information is there. I have attached the problem to this question please view it so you can help me out better.

Discussing the problem: Since you need to find the length of the belt, I first found the portion covering the circles and since the circumference of the circles are 10pi and 2 pi respectively, I multiplied by the ratio that the belt covered of the circles, which were 2/3 and 1/3. So when you add those numbers together you get 22pi/3 and then all that is left is to find the length of the belt in between the two circles. This is where I got stuck, I looked at the answer choices and one of them had 22pi/3 + 8, and the other had 22pi/3 + 8(√3). I chose the second option but I have no idea how to actually finish this problem and would appreciate the help, thank you.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes thank you very much! It was difficult to visualize it like that for me during the test but it is very clear how to complete the problem with this picture

Yes thank you very much! It is much easier to visualize with the picture.

1. What is a standardized test math question?

A standardized test math question is a question that is used on a standardized test, such as the SAT or ACT, to assess a student's mathematical skills and knowledge. These questions are designed to be objective and have a consistent format, making it easier to compare scores between different students.

2. How are standardized test math questions different from regular math questions?

Standardized test math questions are different from regular math questions because they are specifically designed for use on standardized tests. They are often multiple choice and have a single correct answer, while regular math questions may have multiple ways to solve them and can be open-ended.

3. How can I prepare for standardized test math questions?

To prepare for standardized test math questions, it is important to review and practice basic math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and data analysis. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions commonly found on the specific standardized test you will be taking.

4. Are standardized test math questions more difficult than regular math questions?

It depends on the individual and their level of familiarity and comfort with the material. Some people may find standardized test math questions more challenging because they are timed and have higher stakes, while others may find them easier because they are more structured and predictable.

5. Can I use a calculator on standardized test math questions?

It depends on the specific standardized test and the section of the test you are taking. Some tests allow the use of a calculator for certain sections, while others do not allow any calculator use. It is important to familiarize yourself with the rules and guidelines for calculator use on the specific test you will be taking.