Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standardized tests

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I took the General GRE test today. Whew. One step closer to grad school applications.

That's one annoying and totally meaningless standardized test out of the way. Time to celebrate!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How'd it go?

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    I hate standardized test. Reminds me of the SATs, when I spent six weeks memorizing obscure words you would never use in real life from a study guide, and not one of them was on the actual test. What a waste of time.

5. Jan 28, 2008 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I did pretty decently. Should get close to 98-99th percentile in verbal and math.

I can sympathize. Although, I'd never have come across lovely words like uxorious or the secondary meaning of words like cataract if not for the memorizing.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  6. Jan 28, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

]Good job!
    Which one is the secondary meaning?

7. Jan 28, 2008 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Yea, i took the General GRE on Dec 2007, and frankly the only two things i liked about preparing for it was learning new words (not widely used) and the comprehension texts which i found interesting.

I got 760 for Q, 580 for V and 4.5 for AW. I think is pretty decent for a foreigner.

8. Jan 28, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I did about the same. It did seem a lot like the SAT.

If the primary meaning is the medical term for the clouding of lens, then the secondary meaning would be a waterfall, usually one that has a churning or rushing flow, as in rapids.

9. Jan 28, 2008 #8
    Cataract canyon is some awesome rafting, very close to where I live.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?