Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing still in spacetime

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    Hey everyone.

I was thinking, that if you were to stand perfectly still in space wouldn't you stand still in time too? Well since space is relative, and you wouldn't be able to "stand still", but what if you were the only thing in the universe? Because the way i understand relativity you dont move, unless you have something to move relatively to.
    Would you be able to "move" through time?

By the way, if my question is simply ridicoulus then i appologies, i have not even started high school yet, so my understanding of physics is somewhat limited.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2010 #2
    Hey!

Well you could raise your arm, point your finger, then start moving around that point your finger is standing. There you go, you are moving relative to something =P In this case you eyes are moving faster than your finger.. Expand the example for your object choice.

You also know if you are accelerating or deccelerating through the centrifugal forces applied.

What do you mean by move through time?

4. Jun 25, 2010 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

This is not a meaningful concept. There is no absolute 'rest' or 'motion', it is only relative, defined with respect to other matter.

You're right to think there is a relationship between motion and time because our perception of other peoples clocks depends on relative velocity.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. Jun 25, 2010 #4

Ich

Science Advisor

That's the key point. If there are no other people, no need to bother about their clocks.

6. Jun 25, 2010 #5
    Practically speaking; if there are other people around, still no need to bother about their clocks. Since nobody is traveling through relativistic speeds for quite a long long time.

7. Jun 25, 2010 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Apologies to Hano32, I misread his post.

8. Jun 25, 2010 #7

Ich

Science Advisor

Actually I think your answer hit the nail on the head. Relativity always happens to other people. If there's only one, there's nothing to do for relativity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook