Calculating Speed, Amplitude, and Distance in a Standing Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses a wave function and its resulting standing wave. The conversation covers the speed and amplitude of the traveling waves, the distance between successive nodes on the string, and the length of the string in its fourth harmonic. The conversation concludes with the individual coming up with answers to their own questions and wondering if they are correct.
Ramses The Pharaoh
Hi again :biggrin:
The first part of my question was stated under "Simple math problem". However, the rest subproblems are no more simple math ones only :rolleyes:
I'm given the wave function [tex]y(x,t)=4.2\cos(0.2x)\sin(300t)[/tex].
(a) What are the speed and amplitude of the two traveling waves, that result in this standing wave?
(b) What is the distance between successive nodes on the string?
(c)If the string is vibrating in its fourth harmonic, how long is it?
About (a): I think that the two speeds are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction: [tex]v=f\lambda=\pm1500[/tex], and the amplitudes are half of that of the standing wave -> [tex]2.1[/tex]. :cool: Up to here I hope everything is correct...
About (b) I'm a little bit confused... What I think is that I should take the first derivative of the y(x,t) w.r.t. time and find its zero points (because the "particles" in the node do not move). Finding the difference between two successive "zeros" will give me the result. Is this correct?
About (c): honestly I don't have the slightest idea :uhh: .We didn't even study this in class?? why would the professor give us such a problem? :frown: ... But what ever... please, guys, check if the above ideas are correct and tell me the result.
Thank you in advance! :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
I just found out some clues and answers:
For (c): if it is vibrating in its fourth harmonic, the length is [tex]L=2\lambda=62,8[/tex].
For (b): The dist. between successive nodes is just half of the wavelength -> 15,7.
Does this mean that I answered myself? :biggrin: Where are you, guys?? Anybody home? :eek:

Ramses The Pharaoh said:
I just found out some clues and answers:
For (c): if it is vibrating in its fourth harmonic, the length is [tex]L=2\lambda=62,8[/tex].
For (b): The dist. between successive nodes is just half of the wavelength -> 15,7.
Does this mean that I answered myself? :biggrin: Where are you, guys?? Anybody home? :eek:
Looks good to me.

Last edited:

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of nodes (points of maximum amplitude) and antinodes (points of minimum amplitude) that do not appear to move.

2. How is a standing wave created?

A standing wave is created when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This can happen when a wave reflects off a fixed boundary, such as a wall or a string attached to a fixed point.

3. What is the difference between a standing wave and a traveling wave?

A standing wave does not appear to move, while a traveling wave physically moves through a medium. Additionally, a standing wave is created by the interference of two waves, while a traveling wave is created by a single wave source.

4. What is the significance of nodes and antinodes in a standing wave?

Nodes and antinodes are points of maximum and minimum amplitude, respectively, in a standing wave. They are significant because they represent points where the wave does not appear to move, and the amplitude stays constant. These points can be used to measure the wavelength and frequency of the standing wave.

5. How are standing waves used in real-world applications?

Standing waves have various applications in the fields of acoustics, optics, and electronics. They are used in musical instruments, such as string instruments and wind instruments, to produce specific tones. They also play a role in the design of antennas and resonators in electronic devices. Additionally, standing waves are used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to create images of internal structures.