Understanding the Standing Wave Equation: A Guide for Students

In summary, the solution uses a different form of the standing wave equation that takes into account the plot at x=0 and t=0, and the negative sign and switch in the trigonometric functions are necessary to accurately represent the behavior of the wave.
Voidy

Homework Statement

upload_2015-9-30_6-19-51.png

Homework Equations

y (x,y) = 2YmSin(kx)Cos(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble at setting up the standing wave equation for this problem.

Once I set up the equation, I know that part a b c d is just plugging in the numbers.

From what I learned, I know that the standing wave equation is

Y(x,y) = 2YmSin(kx)Cos(wt), this is what the textbook states.

(Ym being the amplitude).

I calculated k and w correctly.

The equation I set up was Y(x,y) = .041Sin(kx)Cos(wt)

However, the solution uses the equation

Y(x,y) = -2YmCos(kx)Sin(wt).

therefore,

Y(x,y) = -.041Cos(kx)Sin(wt)

I do not understand why there is a negative sign in front of the amplitude and why Sin and Cos is switched in the equation used by the solution.

Any help or guide will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-30_6-19-35.png
    upload_2015-9-30_6-19-35.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
The form used in the solution is based off the plot. The plot at x = 0, with t varying implies that the kx term has to be inside a cosine function--otherwise your plot at x = 0 would be a flat line. The plot shows at t=0, y=0, so the wt term should be inside a sine function. Finally, the y value first dives into negative territory, as t is small and positive, so you would want a negative sine of wt function in order to do that.

1. What is a standing wave equation setup?

A standing wave equation setup is a mathematical representation of a standing wave, which is a type of wave that appears to be standing still and does not propagate through space. It is formed by the interference of two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions.

2. How is a standing wave equation set up?

A standing wave equation is typically set up by using the general form of a wave equation, which includes variables for amplitude, frequency, and wavelength. The equation is then modified to account for the specific conditions of the standing wave, such as the fixed boundaries or nodes and antinodes.

3. What are the key components of a standing wave equation setup?

The key components of a standing wave equation setup include the wave equation itself, which describes the physical properties of the wave, and the boundary conditions, which determine the specific behavior of the wave. These components work together to form a mathematical model of the standing wave.

4. Why is a standing wave equation setup important in science?

A standing wave equation setup is important in science because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of standing waves, which are commonly encountered in various fields such as physics, engineering, and acoustics. By studying the equation, we can make predictions about the properties and behavior of standing waves, which can inform the design of various technologies and systems.

5. Are there any real-life applications of standing wave equation setup?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of standing wave equation setup. Some examples include the design of musical instruments, such as stringed instruments and wind instruments, where standing waves are used to produce specific frequencies and tones. Standing waves also play a role in the operation of microwave ovens, where they are used to heat food through resonance. Additionally, standing waves are important in the study of seismic waves and earthquake detection.