What is the Length of an Aluminum Rod Creating a Standing Wave at 6180 Hz?

In summary, an aluminum rod clamped at the one-quarter position was set into longitudinal vibration by a variable-frequency driving source. The lowest frequency that produced resonance was 6180 Hz. To find the length of the rod, the speed of sound in aluminum (4860 m/s) was used in the equation f = V/λ. It was suggested to create a sketch to determine the relationship between λ and L, with the clamp as the position of a node and the distance between a node and antinode as λ/4. It was also noted that the lowest frequency standing wave should be considered, and that the distance between a node and antinode is equal to the wavelength.
SpringWater

Homework Statement

An aluminum rod is clamped at the one- quarter position and set into longitudinal vibration by a variable-frequency driving source. The lowest frequency that produces resonance is 6180 Hz.
Find the length of the rod. The speed of sound in aluminum is 4860 m/s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f= (V) / (λ) or f=((n)*(V)) / (λ) I am having a hard time understanding the concepts

I have tried to figure this out but I am at a loss, why if we clamp the rod at (L/4) does the equation become.. f=V/L

How does the position change the formula? And for f=n*V / λ if n=2 and λ=2L then it makes sense to me but from the given data how do I know there are two anti-nodes or second harmonics?

Any help in explaining how I can further understand this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
When solving standing wave problems, it's a good idea to make a sketch showing the locations of all nodes and antinodes in the system. The diagram can then be used to find the relationship between λ and L.

Last edited:
TSny said:
When solving standing wave problems, its a good idea to make a sketch showing the locations of all nodes and antinodes in the system. The diagram can then be used to find the relationship between λ and L.

So then...since the diagram is not given;

the clamp is the position of a node and given that the distance between a node and anti-node is =λ/4

so after creating a diagram w/o knowing how many nodes and anti-nodes are present in the system..i am assuming that since the rod is clamped at L/4 and the ends are esentially open so the anti-node would be at both ends, so a anti-node is at L/4 so therefore, there are two nodes.

BUT! how would I know that there are not three anti-nodes before reaching the L/4 length?

Also I've tried using distance between node and anti-node=λ/4 ---> =L/2 so then the adj-anti-node will be at the (L/2) mark and I can figure it out from there...is this correct?

Last edited:
i forgot to include this picture

Attachments

• phys9.jpg
    phys9.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 430
SpringWater said:
BUT! how would I know that there are not three anti-nodes before reaching the L/4 length?

Note that you are considering the lowest frequency standing wave.
Also I've tried using distance between node and anti-node=λ/4 ---> =L/2 so then the adj-anti-node will be at the (L/2) mark and I can figure it out from there...is this correct?

Are you sure that L/2 is the distance between a node and antinode?

SpringWater said:
i forgot to include this picture

The figure at the top left looks good.

SpringWater said:
so after creating a diagram w/o knowing how many nodes and anti-nodes are present in the system..i am assuming that since the rod is clamped at L/4 and the ends are esentially open so the anti-node would be at both ends, so a anti-node is at L/4 so therefore, there are two nodes.
Your first diagram is right. The second one has 3/4 λ on the left and 5/4 λ on the right, a ratio of 5:3 instead of 3:1.
Because it's the lowest frequency at which resonance occurs.
I'm not sure whether you're saying that was arrived at from your first diagram or from an alternative. You should have λ = L.

1. What is a standing wave in a rod?

A standing wave in a rod is a pattern of vibration that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions along a fixed rod. This creates a stationary wave pattern with nodes (points of no vibration) and antinodes (points of maximum vibration).

2. How is a standing wave in a rod formed?

A standing wave in a rod is formed when waves traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This interference causes the waves to cancel out at certain points, creating nodes, and reinforce each other at other points, creating antinodes.

3. What factors affect the formation of a standing wave in a rod?

The factors that affect the formation of a standing wave in a rod include the length of the rod, the tension of the rod, and the speed of the waves traveling through the rod. These factors determine the nodes and antinodes that are formed and the overall pattern of the standing wave.

4. What is the difference between a standing wave and a traveling wave in a rod?

A standing wave in a rod is a stationary pattern of vibration, while a traveling wave in a rod is a wave that moves along the length of the rod. In a standing wave, the particles of the rod move back and forth in a fixed position, while in a traveling wave, the particles move up and down as the wave travels through the rod.

5. How is a standing wave in a rod used in scientific research?

A standing wave in a rod can be used in scientific research to study the properties of materials. By analyzing the pattern of the standing wave, scientists can determine the material's elasticity, density, and other physical properties. This can be particularly useful in non-destructive testing of materials, such as in the aerospace and construction industries.