1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing wave-organ pipe

1. Aug 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An organ pipe is 2.5 m long and has a cross-sectional area of 30 cm^2. The pipe is open at one end and closed at the other. The equation of the displacement s of an air molecule from its equilibrium position is
    s=(0.5 cm) sin (pi x) cos (900pi t) where x is the distance from the closed end in meters, and t is the time in seconds starting with a time when its displacements are maximum.
    (i) What is the average speed of an air molecule at a displacement antinode?
    (ii) What would be the wave speed of a sound wave that travelled down an organ pipe of infinite length containing air at the same temperature and pressure as in the pipe containing the stationary wave described above?
    (iii) What is the lowest possible frequency of a stationary wave in the organ pipe described above?

(iv) Once you know all constant characteristics of a given gas, which of the following variable properties, by itself, determines the speed of sound waves in that gas: pressure, temperature, volume, density? Justify your answer.

2. Relevant equations
    k=2 π/ λ
    w= 2 π f
    v=λf
    2A sin kx is the maximum antinode where x = (2k+1) (λ/4)

3. The attempt at a solution
    For i) I think at the displacement antinode, the speed of a particle will be 0 because it's the maximum displacement or it could be the greatest average vertical speed?
    ii) Not sure for when it says infinite length? We can find λ and f and use v=fλ?
    iii) f=v/L? Not sure when it says described above whether its referring to part i or ii?
    c) Either pressure or density-not sure

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

An antinode is the minimum of whatever, so a displacement antinode is zero displacement.
    Yes.
    What do standing waves look like in half open pipes? Are the ends nodes, antinodes, or one of each? What's the longest wavelength in a pipe length L consistent with that?
    What formulae do you know for the speed of sound in a gas?

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3
    Isn't an antinode maximum displacement and node is zero displacement?

In half open pipes, there's a node at one end and an antinode at the open end.

v= sqrt of (γRT / M) or v = sqrt of (γ P/ρ)

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4
    Also if L = 2.5 and λ=2 then L = (5/4)λ so we know which harmonic this is and we can find the fundamental frequency by using fn = n f1
    (λ = 2π/k = 2π/π=2)

6. Aug 1, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Whoops, sorry - you are right.
    Yes, so what's the smallest number or fraction of a wavelength that might be present?
    Ok, so ignore all the terms in there which relate to inherent properties of the gas. What's left?

7. Aug 1, 2016 #6
    Also if L = 2.5 and λ=2 then L = (5/4)λ so we know which harmonic this is and we can find the fundamental frequency by using fn = n f1
    (λ = 2π/k = 2π/π=2)

So what will the average speed at the anitnode be? Will it just be zero? I know average speed is the total distance/time taken and I know that the x position of the antinode is given by 2A sin(kx) so solving that between bounds gives x = (2k+1)(λ/4)? But it says at the antinode which kind of means like an instantaneous speed?

Pressure, volume and temperature are inherent properties of gas ? So density?

8. Aug 1, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But why should the wavelength be 2m? (It isn't.)

Yes.

9. Aug 1, 2016 #8
    We know that λ=2π / k and k is given to us by the standing wave equation 2A sin(kx) cos (wt) so we can calculate λ

Edit: "The average speed of each particle is not the same at one cycle. The anti-node will be the fastest as it travels the farthest in one cycle" found from https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/IB_Physics/Oscillations_and_Waves

10. Aug 1, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Question iii isasking about the lowest possible frequency. The wave equation will be different.

11. Aug 1, 2016 #10
    But it says of the same stationary wave as described above? 5λ/4 is a different harmonic and we have to find the fundamental harmonic and we can do that using fn=nfo where we know fn and n?

5λ/4 is the fifth harmonic so fn=n fo so fo = fn / n = 450 / 5 = 90

I got f=450 using w= 2πf where w is 900 in the given standing wave equation.

Also, I don't know why but I have a feeling the average speed won't be 0 at the displacement antinode? The word average is bugging me.

Also, I think density isn't an inherent property of gases?

12. Aug 1, 2016 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it says
    What's got me bothered is the word speed. Don't forget that air molecules move around even without sound waves passing through.
    Right, and neither are pressure, mass, number of moles, nor temperature. Is there an equation for velocity which only uses one non-inherent property?

13. Aug 1, 2016 #12
    But then again, they're all referring to the same standing wave in part b and c? How will we find a wave equation for an infinitely long tube?

These are the only 2 equations I know of for ideal gases:
    v= sqrt of (γRT / M) or v = sqrt of (γ P/ρ)

14. Aug 1, 2016 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, ii) is for a travellng wave, not a standing wave at all.
    What does a generic equation for a travelling wave look like?

iii) is for a different standing wave from that originally described.
    What does the lowest frequency note look like in a half open tube, in terms of nodes and antinodes?

One of those equations will do it. I'm not asking you to find a different equation.
    Which of them only includes one non-inherent property?

15. Aug 1, 2016 #14
    ii) y =A sin(kx-wt)

iii)One node and one antinode

v= sqrt of (γRT / M)

16. Aug 1, 2016 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. Anyway, you already answered this question correctly, so no need to go any further with that.
    Right, so what is that in terms of wavelengths?
    Right. So which is the only non-inherent property in there?

17. Aug 1, 2016 #16
    ii) so v is 900 m/s?

iii) λ/4

Temperature

18. Aug 1, 2016 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes to all three.
    So what frequency do you get for iii)?

Returning to i), do you understand what I wrote about air molecules in still air, with no sound waves? What average speed would they have? What average velocity would they have?

19. Aug 1, 2016 #18
    I know f = v / λ/4 but now I'm not so sure what λ is going to be? Is it 2 m as I said before?

No I didn't get that part.

20. Aug 1, 2016 #19

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No.
    You know the length of the tube. How does that relate to the wavelength, according to your post #16?
    Do you understand the difference between speed and velocity?
    What would be the average velocity of a molecule of still air?

21. Aug 1, 2016 #20
    L = λ/4 and I can solve for this yes but we're not considering it as infinite as in part ii? That's what I was confused about.

I do know the difference:speed magnitude only and velocity magnitude and direction.
    av. Velocity=displacement/time. It would just be zero if it's still? Unless there's some direction change?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted