What is the length of the vibrating section of the violin string?

In summary, the wavelength of a note from a Stradivarius violin is 39.1 cm, with a speed of sound of 344 m/s in a warm room. With a tension of 160 N and a linear density of 0.620 g/m, the vibrating section of the violin string can be calculated using the formula f1 = \frac{1}{2L}\times\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}, with the answer being 28.9 cm.
Deviatorz

Homework Statement

A particularly beautiful note reaching your ear from a rare Stradivarius violin has a wavelength of 39.1 cm. The room is slightly warm, so the speed of sound is 344 m/s.
If the string's linear density is 0.620 g/m and the tension is 160 N, how long is the vibrating section of the violin string?

T = 160N
Linear Density = 0.62g/m
Wavelength of violin string = 0.391m
Speed of sound in warm room = 344m/s
m = 1?

Homework Equations

v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

v = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\times[/tex]f

The Attempt at a Solution

I all know is to find the velocity of the string first which is the square root of 250 or about 15.811m/s. I am unsure of what to do next. Also, what is the "vibrating section of the violin string"? I am unsure of what that is. Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deviatorz said:

Homework Statement

A particularly beautiful note reaching your ear from a rare Stradivarius violin has a wavelength of 39.1 cm. The room is slightly warm, so the speed of sound is 344 m/s.
If the string's linear density is 0.620 g/m and the tension is 160 N, how long is the vibrating section of the violin string?

T = 160N
Linear Density = 0.62g/m
Wavelength of violin string = 0.391m
Speed of sound in warm room = 344m/s
m = 1?

Homework Equations

v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

v = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\times[/tex]f

The Attempt at a Solution

I all know is to find the velocity of the string first which is the square root of 250 or about 15.811m/s. I am unsure of what to do next. Also, what is the "vibrating section of the violin string"? I am unsure of what that is. Thanks in advanced.

The vibrating section of the string is that of the standing wave, i.e. the bit better the bridges of the violin. This length is dependent on the note played. To solve this problem you need to figure out which harmonic the string is vibrating at.

Erwin Kreyszig said:
The vibrating section of the string is that of the standing wave, i.e. the bit better the bridges of the violin. This length is dependent on the note played. To solve this problem you need to figure out which harmonic the string is vibrating at.

I still don't quite get what the "vibrating section" of the violin string is. Are you saying that it is the length of the string; which makes no sense. I think the harmonic for stringed instruments is one or m = 1. Somewhere in between I have to use this formula:

f1 = [tex]\frac{1}{2L}[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex].

Deviatorz said:
I still don't quite get what the "vibrating section" of the violin string is. Are you saying that it is the length of the string; which makes no sense. I think the harmonic for stringed instruments is one or m = 1. Somewhere in between I have to use this formula:

f1 = [tex]\frac{1}{2L}[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex].

With stringed instruments you have as many harmonics as there are notes, effectively that is the physics behind it. A violinist can place his finger very lightly on a string so that it divides the string into half. He will hear a harmonic (the note an octave higher than the open string). By placing his fingers in other places he can get more harmonics, e.g by touching the string a quarter of the way down he gets the next harmonic.

Sorry for the late reply, the way I approached the question was correct. My answer was incorrect because the linear mass density in the question was in g/m while I needed to convert to kg/m. This question took me hours to figure out, I was sure the way I was doing was correct.

For future references, the answer to this question is 28.9cm.

What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This interference causes the wave to appear to stand still, hence the name "standing wave".

What causes a standing wave to form?

A standing wave forms when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions meet. This can occur when a wave is reflected off of a fixed boundary or when two waves of the same frequency are traveling in opposite directions along the same medium.

What are the characteristics of a standing wave?

A standing wave has several distinct characteristics, including nodes and antinodes. Nodes are points along the wave that appear to be standing still, while antinodes are points of maximum displacement. Standing waves also have a fixed wavelength and do not propagate through space like other types of waves.

What are some real-life examples of standing waves?

Standing waves can be found in many natural phenomena, such as sound waves in a closed pipe or vibrating strings on a musical instrument. They are also used in various technologies, such as in microwave ovens and musical instruments like guitars and violins.

What is the significance of standing waves in science and engineering?

Standing waves have many practical applications in science and engineering. They are used in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics for various purposes, such as measuring properties of materials and designing efficient systems. Understanding standing waves is crucial for the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields.