1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing Wave/ Resonanace problem PLEASE HELP

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    Standing Wave/ Resonanace problem PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. I've tried to answer this problem so many times now, but I just cant get it. Here it is:

A child's toy called a twirler, consists of a tube (like a hose, which is spun
    in a circle above one's head. It is noted that at certain rates of rotation,
    sounds of definite pitch are heard. What is the source of the sound? what are
    the resonance effects? What is the relationship between pitch and rate of
    rotation...?

Thank You in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will make a difference in the pitch if the tube is open on both ends or closed on the end being held. I assume it is open at both ends. You need to look at standing waves in a pipe, and think about two possible effects from twirling the tube. 1) Will the pressure in the tube change when it is being twirled? If it does, that will affect the speed of sound in the tube and that will affect the resonant frequency. 2) The doppler effect. The sound source will be moving relative to an observer hearing the sound from a tube someone else is twirling.

4. May 12, 2005 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Woah. We're sorry, the English language has sustained a major back-injury and will be out for the duration the the game.

5. May 13, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sound source will be moving relative to an observer who is hearing the sound that is coming from a tube that someone else is twirling.

Can you understand it now? Did you really need those extra words?

6. May 15, 2005 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No. Less. :biggrin:

"The sound source will be moving relative to an external observer."

7. May 15, 2005 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

External to what?????????????????????????????????? The tube?

This is ridiculous and you know it. I'm finished with the subject.

8. May 16, 2005 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You're being deliberately obtuse, and you seem to be a bit defensive. I don't think that's really helping hulkster.

When I have more time I'll try to compose an answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?