1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing Wave Speed?

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    My Friend and I were discussing standing waves and I made problem about speed, inspired off a concept taught in my Physics book: [itex]v = \sqrt {\frac {F_T}{m/L}}[/itex]. My Friend asked a very valid question: "How in the whole can you defined speed of a standing wave when it's not changing position?" - He understands the formula but not what velocity in a standing wave means. And he stumped me on it. I couldn't find an answer to that question.

Can you?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can think of a standing wave as the superposition of two travelling waves moving in opposite directions.

For example ##\cos(x - vt)## and ##\cos (x + vt)## are two travelling waves, and their sum is ##\cos(x - vt) + \cos(x + vt) = 2\cos x \cos(vt)## which is a standiing wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook