Standing waves and oscillation

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal string attached to a mechanical oscillator with weights hung from one end. The goal is to determine the mass needed to create different numbers of standing waves at a frequency of 120 Hz. Using equations for velocity and string density, the mass of the string is calculated and used to solve for the mass needed to create one, two, and five loops of a standing wave. The resulting masses are 0.00099 kg, 2.18 kg, and 0.155 kg, respectively.
gmmstr827

Homework Statement

One end of a horizontal string of linear density 6.6*10^-4 kg/m is attached to a small amplitude mechanical 120-Hz oscillator. The string passes over a pulley a distance of l=1.50 m away, and weights are hung from this end. What mass m must be hung from this end of the string to produce (a) one loop, (b) two loops, and (c) five loops of a standing wave? Assume the string at the oscillator is a node, which is nearly true.

µ = Γ = 6.6 * 10^-4 kg/m
f = 120 Hz
L = 1.50 m
g = 9.8 m/s^2

Homework Equations

F_t = mg
v = √(F_t*L/m)
v = Γf
Γ = 2L/n where n = 1 for first harmonic, n = 2 for second harmonic, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to go with this one, so I'm just going to solve for what I can.

First, I'll solve for velocity.
v = Γf = (0.00066 kg/m)(120 Hz) = 0.0792 m/s

Now I'm going to set the velocity formulas equal to each other to try to solve for m.
√(F_t*L/m) = Γf
√(mg*L/m) = 0.0792
√(g*L) = 0.0792
√(9.8*1.5) = 0.0792
Oh wait, mass canceled itself out >.<

Help is much appreciated!
Thank you!

Likes zay47olali
Physics news on Phys.org
Here
v = (Mg*L/m)^1/2, where M is mass hung from the other end of the string, and m is the mass of the string.

rl.bhat said:
Here
v = (Mg*L/m)^1/2, where M is mass hung from the other end of the string, and m is the mass of the string.

Okay, so I would plug everything in and solve for M?

0.0792 = (9.8M*1.5/0.00066)^1/2
M = 2.82 * 10^-7 = 0.000000282 kg

This seems like a very small mass. Is this how it's solved?

Check your v value.

Do I use µ = m/L >>> µL=m where µ = 6.6*10^-4 kg/m and L = 1.50 m
so the mass of the string = 0.00099 kg
then
Γ = 2L/n where n=1 and L = 1.50 m so
Γ = 3
So 3*120 = 360 m/s

v = √(Mg*L/m)
360 = √(M*9.8*1.5/(9.9 * 10^-4))
m = 8.73 kg?

So for part b, I would just use 2 instead of 1 for n; and part c I would use 5. Yes?

b) v = 180 m/s; m = 2.18 kg
c) v = 48 m/s; m = 0.155 kg

Last edited:
Seems good.

1. What are standing waves and oscillation?

Standing waves are a type of wave that occurs when two identical waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. Oscillation refers to the repetitive back-and-forth motion that characterizes standing waves.

2. How are standing waves different from traveling waves?

Unlike traveling waves, standing waves do not propagate through space. Instead, they appear to be stationary and have distinct regions of high and low amplitude, known as nodes and antinodes. This occurs because the two waves that form a standing wave have equal and opposite amplitudes, cancelling each other out at certain points.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves?

The formation of standing waves is influenced by several factors, including the frequency, wavelength, and speed of the waves, as well as the medium through which they are traveling. The length and geometry of the medium also play a role in determining where nodes and antinodes will occur.

4. What are some real-life examples of standing waves?

Standing waves can be observed in a variety of natural and man-made systems. Examples include the vibrations of strings on a musical instrument, sound waves in a pipe or organ, and electromagnetic waves in a resonant cavity. Standing waves are also responsible for phenomena such as tides and seiches in bodies of water.

5. How are standing waves used in practical applications?

Standing waves have important applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics. They are used in musical instruments to produce specific notes and in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound. In electronics, standing waves can be manipulated to create resonant circuits and improve the efficiency of wireless communication systems.