1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing Waves Equation

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everyone. I am working on a physics research paper on Standing Wave Patterns and the physics of a viola. I found this formula for standing wave patterns and am having trouble making sense of it. When I tried, I got sin(0) which is 0 making the whole thing 0. Is this a valid equation and am I missing something?

w = 2764
    t = (1/440)

k = 2pi/wavelength
    x = distance traveled.

I am sorry, but I am really confuesed

2. Relevant equations

y = 2yocos(wt)sin(Kx)

3. The attempt at a solution

2yo (2764)(1/440) = 2p1
    cos 2 pi = 1
    sin (0) = 0

= Ahh!

I may be using the variables wrong, but I used 2pi * frequency to get w, 1/frequency to get t

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2
    y(x,t) = 2yocos(wt)sin(Kx) is the function which is dependent on both time and position. t is not the period.

It's perfectly reasonable to get 0 a nodal points.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't know the formula y = 2yocos(wt)sin(Kx) so perhaps I shouldn't be offering any help.
    But it seems clear to me that the sin(kx) = 0 at x = 0 is just telling you that there is no vertical movement of the string at x = 0. That would be the position where the string is attached. It seems a very reasonable result!

5. Mar 18, 2009 #4
    Okay. Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance, we had to research a topic that we haven't covered, but would it be more appropriate to use x as the string length, since that is further from where the string is attached and would cause vertical movement? I am not really understanding what I proved by getting 0...well I don't really understand what I am proving anyway.

6. Mar 18, 2009 #5
    The equation you listed is modeling a string in two dimensions that is time dependent. So you can think of the function giving you the height of the string at some distance x, and some time t.

x and t are variables that change.

You proved that when sin(kx) = 0 then the height of the string is also 0. This makes sense since at x=0 there is a node.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook