What is the equation for standing wave patterns and why is the solution 0?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics research paper on Standing Wave Patterns and the physics of a viola. The formula for standing wave patterns is given as y = 2yocos(wt)sin(Kx) and the individual is having trouble understanding it, but they believe they may be using the variables incorrectly. They are trying to use x as the string length instead of distance traveled and are confused by getting a result of 0. Another person explains that the equation models a string in two dimensions and the result of 0 makes sense at x=0, which is a node.
Tohoshi

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I am working on a physics research paper on Standing Wave Patterns and the physics of a viola. I found this formula for standing wave patterns and am having trouble making sense of it. When I tried, I got sin(0) which is 0 making the whole thing 0. Is this a valid equation and am I missing something?

w = 2764
t = (1/440)

k = 2pi/wavelength
x = distance traveled.

I am sorry, but I am really confuesed

Homework Equations

y = 2yocos(wt)sin(Kx)

The Attempt at a Solution

2yo (2764)(1/440) = 2p1
cos 2 pi = 1
sin (0) = 0

= Ahh!

I may be using the variables wrong, but I used 2pi * frequency to get w, 1/frequency to get t

Physics news on Phys.org
y(x,t) = 2yocos(wt)sin(Kx) is the function which is dependent on both time and position. t is not the period.

It's perfectly reasonable to get 0 a nodal points.

I don't know the formula y = 2yocos(wt)sin(Kx) so perhaps I shouldn't be offering any help.
But it seems clear to me that the sin(kx) = 0 at x = 0 is just telling you that there is no vertical movement of the string at x = 0. That would be the position where the string is attached. It seems a very reasonable result!

Okay. Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance, we had to research a topic that we haven't covered, but would it be more appropriate to use x as the string length, since that is further from where the string is attached and would cause vertical movement? I am not really understanding what I proved by getting 0...well I don't really understand what I am proving anyway.

The equation you listed is modeling a string in two dimensions that is time dependent. So you can think of the function giving you the height of the string at some distance x, and some time t.

x and t are variables that change.

You proved that when sin(kx) = 0 then the height of the string is also 0. This makes sense since at x=0 there is a node.

What is the standing waves equation?

The standing waves equation is a mathematical representation of standing waves, which are a type of wave that appears to be stationary in space. It is often used to describe acoustic and electromagnetic waves.

What are the variables in the standing waves equation?

The variables in the standing waves equation are wavelength (λ), frequency (f), speed of the wave (v), and the number of nodes (n) or antinodes (m).

How is the standing waves equation derived?

The standing waves equation is derived from the general wave equation, which describes the behavior of all types of waves. It is then modified to take into account the unique characteristics of standing waves.

What is the significance of the standing waves equation?

The standing waves equation is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of standing waves and understand their properties. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in musical instruments and telecommunications.

How is the standing waves equation used in real-world situations?

The standing waves equation is used in a variety of real-world situations, such as in the design of musical instruments to produce specific frequencies or in the analysis of transmission lines in telecommunications. It is also used in many scientific experiments to study the properties of waves and their interactions.