Calculating Standing Wave Diagrams and Wave Speeds for Closed Cylinders

• Thread starter quaere verum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation discussed a homework assignment involving measuring the height of an air column in a graduated cylinder and using a tuning fork to find the corresponding wave speed. The equations v = λ * f and λ = (4/n) * L were mentioned, along with the relationship between frequency and the harmonic number. The individual was seeking guidance on how to apply these equations and use the measured quantities to find the fundamental frequency and subsequent harmonics. They were also unsure of how to incorporate the standing wave diagrams into their calculations. Overall, the conversation aimed to understand the underlying relationships and not just find the answer.
quaere verum

Homework Statement

I was instructed to fill a graduated cylinder with approx. 90 mL of water and lower a marked tube into the water, taking note of the height of the air column above the water. Vibrating a 1024 Hz tuning fork above the opening of the column I found the shortest height of the air column where the sound reached maximum loudness, then the next shortest, then the next shortest. I found these to be 7.5 cm, 24.5 cm, and 41.5 cm - clearly, there is a difference of 17 cm between each height. Now I have been instructed to draw standing wave diagrams for each data point and calculate the wavelength corresponding wave speed measurement for each data point, averaging each of the wave speeds to approximate the speed of sound.

Homework Equations

v = λ * f

For a closed cylinder, the wavelength/length relationship is expressed by:

λ = (4/n) * L

where n represents the nth harmonic.

I also know that the fundamental frequency f1 = v/4L, but I don't know v...

The Attempt at a Solution

I am familiar with what the standing wave diagrams should look like in principle - 1 node and antinode in the 1st harmonic, 2 of each in the 3rd, etc.

I easily derived the equation v = (4/n) * L * f given the above equations, but I am confused as to where I use each measured quantity. I am assuming that I need to find the fundamental frequency of the wave using that of the tuning fork, and from there the frequency of the subsequent harmonics, but I am not sue how to do that - I am taking this course online and completing the assignment as make-up, so I feel a bit lost in this unit.

I apologize for the lack of my own calculations, but my problem is I have all of these images and formulas flying around in my head and I'm not sure which length and which frequency applies where - basically, I don't know where to start.

I feel as though I am missing something so if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I desperately want to understand the relationships underlying the right method, not just get an answer, but I'm stumped.

Thank you so much in advance for the assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've accurately described the standing wave diagrams, so you can draw them.

For each one, you can then write an expression for L in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Plug in your numbers, and you get a set of values for [itex]\lambda[/itex].

What is the frequency in each case? Hint: it really is that obvious.

You appear to have all the formulae you need to finish off from here. Post your working if you get stuck.

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that forms when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes that appear to be standing still, hence the name "standing wave."

2. How are standing waves created?

Standing waves are created when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This can happen in a variety of mediums, such as air, water, or a string. When the waves interfere constructively, they create areas of high amplitude known as nodes, and areas of low amplitude known as antinodes.

3. What is the significance of harmonics in standing waves?

Harmonics refer to the multiple frequencies or wavelengths that can exist in a standing wave. The fundamental frequency, or the lowest frequency that can exist in a standing wave, is known as the first harmonic. Higher harmonics have frequencies that are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency.

4. How can standing waves be applied in real-world situations?

Standing waves have various applications in different fields, such as music, engineering, and physics. In music, standing waves are responsible for the different pitches and timbres produced by musical instruments. In engineering, standing waves can be used to detect flaws or defects in materials. In physics, standing waves are used to study the properties of waves and their behavior.

5. How can we visualize and study standing waves in a lab setting?

In a standing waves/harmonics lab, various equipment and tools can be used to visualize and study standing waves. These may include a wave generator, a string or tube to create the medium for the wave, a frequency analyzer, and a strobe light to capture the motion of the standing wave. By adjusting the frequency and amplitude of the waves, different harmonics can be observed and studied.