Do Solid and Hollow Metal Rods Produce Different Standing Wave Patterns?

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of standing waves in a metal rod and the derivation of harmonics frequencies. The first question is about the pattern and formula derivation for a solid rod compared to a hollow tube. The second question is about striking the rod longitudinally versus transversely and the formation of standing waves and derivation of a formula. The link provided shows a table of values for various harmonics frequencies. The conversation also mentions the difference in speed between longitudinal and transverse waves, with the latter being frequency and diameter dependent.
klng
Hello friends,

I have done some research on the Internet about producing standing waves in a metal rod, and how the various harmonics frequencies are being derived. I have two questions that i wish to discuss here:

1. Is the pattern of standing waves and method of formula derivation the same, even when we use a solid metal rod, i.e. the rod is filled in the centre, as opposed to a hollow tube?

2. When we strike the rod at one end, we should do so by striking the rod longitudinally, i.e. the hammer strikes the face of the rod end. Only then will standing waves be formed, and we can derive our harmonics frequencies formula (depending on where we hold the rod). My question is, what happen if we strike the end in a transverse manner, i.e. we strike the hammer across the end of the rod. Will there be any pattern of standing waves being formed, and can we derive a formula to determine the harmonics frequencies? Apparently, there seems to be such a formula, though i can't figure out how it was being derived. Pls refer to this link, look under the bold header "Extensions, other activities using the bar":
http://www.exo.net/~pauld/summer_institute/summer_day11sound/ringing _Al_rod.html.
There is a table of values there, associated with the various harmonics.

Hope experienced forummers can help shed some light on the matter.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main difference is due to the difference in speed of the two waves.The longitudinal wave travels with a speed of root Youngs modulus/ density but the transverse waves travel much slower.For a string held in tension the speed of the transverse wave has a speed given by root tension* length/mass.I don't know the formula for the speed in a rod supported in the way shown in the link but apparently it is not independant of the diameter.If I find anything I will report back.
I had a quick search and it seems that the speed of the transverse waves is frequency dependant as well as diameter dependant..."high frequency transverse waves travel faster along a rod or bar than do low frequency waves".This makes things more complicated and I suspect it is the reason why the speed of transverse waves was not given in your link.

Last edited:

Firstly, to answer your first question, the pattern of standing waves and the method of formula derivation will be different for a solid metal rod compared to a hollow tube. This is because the boundary conditions for the two are different. In a solid rod, the waves will bounce off the ends of the rod, while in a hollow tube, the waves will reflect off the open end and the closed end. This results in different patterns and formulas for the harmonics frequencies.

For your second question, striking the end of the rod in a transverse manner will not produce standing waves as the waves will not be able to reflect back and forth along the length of the rod. This is because the direction of motion of the waves will be perpendicular to the length of the rod, preventing them from bouncing back and forth. The formula provided in the link you shared is most likely for a different type of wave, such as a transverse wave, which is not the same as the longitudinal standing waves produced in a metal rod.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have regarding standing waves in a metal rod. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What are standing waves in a metal rod?

Standing waves in a metal rod are a type of vibration that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other, resulting in a stationary pattern.

2. How do standing waves form in a metal rod?

Standing waves form in a metal rod when two waves, one traveling from each end of the rod, reflect off each other and interfere constructively and destructively, creating nodes and antinodes along the rod.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves in a metal rod?

The length, density, and tension of the metal rod all affect the formation of standing waves. As these factors change, the nodes and antinodes will shift and the standing wave pattern will change.

4. What is the relationship between the frequency of the standing wave and the length of the metal rod?

The frequency of a standing wave in a metal rod is inversely proportional to the length of the rod. This means that as the length of the rod increases, the frequency of the standing wave decreases, and vice versa.

5. How are standing waves in a metal rod used in practical applications?

Standing waves in a metal rod are used in various applications such as musical instruments, telecommunications, and non-destructive testing. They can also be used to determine the material properties of the metal rod, such as its density and elasticity.