Resonance in Organ Pipes: Exploring the Effects of Water on Standing Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses a resonance tube experiment where a closed organ pipe of length 120 cm resonates with a tuning fork of 340 Hz. It is mentioned that the minimum and maximum lengths of the water column to create resonance are 50 cm and 100 cm respectively. The conversation also touches upon the confusion about the value of n and how the presence of water will affect the air column. It is concluded that the length of the air column in resonance would be 1.25 m, and the discussion ends with a question about the other possible lengths of the air column in resonance.
palkia

Homework Statement

In a resonance tube experiment, a closed organ pipe of length 120 cm resonates ,when tuned with a tuning fork of length 120cm resonates,when tuned with a tuning fork of length 340 hz.If water is poured into the pipe ,then (speed of sound in air=340 ms^-1)

(A) minimum length of water coloumn to have resonance is 50cm

(B) the distance between two succesive nodes is 50 cm

(C)The maximum length of water coloumn to create resonance is 100cm

(D) None of the above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Before the water started filling

Wavelength=Velocity/frequency=1m

For a closed pipe,the resonance condition is

L=n λ/4

Substituting values

4 L/n =1

n=5

therefore - 2n+1=5
n=2

L=3λ/4

I am confused about the next part where there is water flowing into the coloumn.How will it affect the air column now[/B]

Likes harambe
Physics news on Phys.org
palkia said:
L=n λ/4
Where does that equation come from, and is every n possible here?
palkia said:
n=5

therefore - 2n+1=5
n=2
How can you conclude n=2 from n=5?
palkia said:
L=3λ/4
That contradicts the given values.

Initially the tube won't be in resonance.
palkia said:
I am confused about the next part where there is water flowing into the coloumn.How will it affect the air column now
Where water is there is no air - you reduce the length of the air column.

Likes palkia and harambe
I made a mess there...only odd values of n will be alllowed there so I should have used a different variable for thatI n any case the value of n will be 3Initially the tube won't be in resonance. (What does this mean)

Last edited:
Likes harambe
palkia said:
made a mess there...only odd values of n will be alllowed there so I should have used a different variable for that
As far as I understand the problem statement both sides are closed.
palkia said:
Initially the tube won't be in resonance. (What does this mean)
I'm not sure what is unclear. A 1.2 m tube, closed on both sides, won't resonate at 340 Hz.

Likes harambe
mfb said:
As far as I understand the problem statement both sides are closed.I'm not sure what is unclear. A 1.2 m tube, closed on both sides, won't resonate at 340 Hz.
I think the organ pipe is closed at one end ,that's why n=3.The OP made a typo in my opinion

In that case 120 cm would be close to a resonance.

Likes palkia and harambe
harambe said:
I think the organ pipe is closed at one end ,that's why n=3.The OP made a typo in my opinion
I am so sorry...it was indeed my mistake

mfb said:
In that case 120 cm would be close to a resonance.

Okay so my length came 1.25 m so what does the extra length tell us??

How should I proceed to do for the water case?Also sorry for my typo...(^|^)

palkia said:
Okay so my length came 1.25 m so what does the extra length tell us??
Why is it 1.25 m now when it was 1.2 m before?

palkia said:
How should I proceed to do for the water case?
What are other possible lengths of the air column where you have a resonance?

Since the L=5λ/4 and putting λ=1 ,I am gettting 1.25m

That is the initial length, with 5 as constant in the formula. 5 is not the smallest possible value here.

1. What are standing waves in an organ pipe?

Standing waves in an organ pipe refer to the pattern of vibration that occurs within a pipe when a sound wave is produced. These waves are created when the natural frequency of the pipe matches the frequency of the sound wave, causing the air molecules in the pipe to vibrate in a stationary pattern.

2. How are standing waves produced in an organ pipe?

Standing waves in an organ pipe are produced when a sound wave is introduced into the pipe and reflects off the closed end of the pipe. This creates a stationary wave pattern with areas of high pressure (antinodes) and areas of low pressure (nodes).

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves in an organ pipe?

The formation of standing waves in an organ pipe is affected by several factors, including the length of the pipe, the speed of sound in the pipe, and the frequency of the sound wave being produced. The shape and material of the pipe can also have an impact on the formation of standing waves.

4. How do standing waves in an organ pipe affect the sound produced?

Standing waves in an organ pipe affect the sound produced by altering the amplitude and pitch of the sound. The nodes and antinodes in the standing wave pattern determine which frequencies are amplified and which are cancelled out, resulting in a unique sound for each organ pipe.

5. What is the significance of standing waves in organ pipes?

Standing waves in organ pipes are significant because they are the basis for producing sound in a pipe organ. By controlling the length of the pipes and the frequency of the sound waves, complex melodies and harmonies can be created. This makes standing waves in organ pipes essential for producing music in pipe organs.