Standing waves, linear density

In summary, a node exists at Q when the mass of the hanging block is 2574.0 g or 3503.5 g. The linear density is 0.028 g/m for both masses.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

In Fig. below, a string, tied to a sinusoidal oscillator at P and running over a support at Q, is stretched by a block of mass m.The separation L between P and Q is 2.30 m, and the frequency f of the oscillator is fixed at 142 Hz. The amplitude of the motion at P is small enough for that point to be considered a node. A node also exists at Q. A standing wave appears when the mass of the hanging block is 3503.5 g or 2574.0 g, but not for any intermediate mass. What is the linear density (in g/m) of the string?

Homework Equations

image: http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c16/pict_16_60.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm confused because if two masses can make a standing wave, that would suggest two different tensions as well... and wouldn't this also suggest two different linear desnities?? i have no idea how to go about this problem...

if i were to guess, i would use f=v/wavelength to get v...but i don't know if I could assume the wavelength because the way the figure is drawn...because in the figure, the wavelength is obvious, but maybe the figure is just an example and not actually representative of what's happening...but if I do use the figure, then i can solve for v...then with v=(T/u)^.5...where T is tension and u is linear density, then i can solve for desnity, except I have two tensions to pick from...

other than that I'm lost...any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there are n loops in the standing wave, then L = n*λ/2. Or λ = 2L/n.
So v = f*λ = f*2L/n = ( T/μ )^0.5
Write two equations, one for T = 3503.5 g and other for 2574 g for the number of loops n and n + 1 respectively. Solve for n. Substitute it in one of the equations to find the linear density.

okay, solving for N, doesn't that give you two results for N because i ended up with a quadratic equation, how do you know which N to use?

oh wait nevermind, i did something silly

1. What are standing waves?

Standing waves are a type of wave that occurs when two waves traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement) that appear to be stationary, hence the name "standing" waves.

2. What factors affect the formation of standing waves?

The formation of standing waves is affected by several factors, including the frequency of the waves, the distance between the two sources of the waves, and the speed at which the waves travel. Additionally, the medium through which the waves are traveling can also impact the formation of standing waves.

3. What is the relationship between standing waves and linear density?

Linear density refers to the mass per unit length of a medium, while standing waves are a result of the interference of two waves. The linear density of a medium can affect the speed at which waves travel through it, which in turn can impact the formation of standing waves.

4. How does the amplitude of a standing wave change as the number of nodes increases?

The amplitude of a standing wave remains constant as the number of nodes increases. This is because the amplitude is determined by the energy of the wave, which remains constant even as the wave reflects off of the nodes and antinodes.

5. What are some real-world applications of standing waves and linear density?

Standing waves and linear density have various applications in different fields. Some examples include musical instruments, where standing waves are responsible for creating specific notes, and seismology, where the analysis of standing waves can provide information about the properties of the Earth's interior. Standing waves and linear density are also important in the study of optics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.